Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin company charging me to leave, not in contract

Options
  • 28-12-2018 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some opinions.
    Switching bin companies, present company is looking for 15 euro per bin to come out and collect their empty bins.
    I'm not in contract, they do list it in their t&c's but is it a standard thing bin companies do? or are they chancing their arm?

Comments

<SNIP>

If it's not in anything you signed or terms and conditions you agreed to I wouldn't worry about it. Cancel direct debit and refuse to pay unless they can show where this was part of the agreement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

Is the onus not on the customer to return the bins that they have on loan?. My aes terms state that. So if I were to leave I would need to arrange delivery to their depot. I presume I could also get them collected for a fee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My personal opinion on that would be that that is an unfair contract term, seeing as the items are delivered to you. Other businesses with loan equipment arrange collection. Unfair contract terms are unenforceable but you need the courts to decide that.

This is opinion, not legal advice, this isn't something clear cut.

Add this to my list of reasons to never use AES (awful customer service, don't understand their variance in plans and services across county areas, missed collections, false promises of re-collection, collectors deciding on their own what can and can't go in bins against their own specs, I could go on...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

is there a charge to replace the bin if its lost/stolen?

if not theoretically a person could say the bin was stolen & exit contract not having to pay for the bins to be collected???

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Half joking, but could the OP invoice the company a storage fee of the bins?

But as said, cancel the direct debit, take off any label that says the bin is yours, and leave it outside.

Clean it and put an add up on DoneDeal if you want! Here's an example of price; https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/wheelie-bin/20494951

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

AES never collected their bins from me when I cancelled their service 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I remember GH wanted 40 euro to collect my bins. I asked what does the 40 cover, I was told cleaning of bins plus collection.

I said to rep I’ll clean them and if they give me an address I’ll deliver them. The next day they were removed from my driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

the_syco wrote: »
    Half joking, but could the OP invoice the company a storage fee of the bins?

But as said, cancel the direct debit, take off any label that says the bin is yours, and leave it outside.

Clean it and put an add up on DoneDeal if you want! Here's an example of price; https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/wheelie-bin/20494951

I did this before. They told me they would charge for collection, so I sent them an invoice for storage of €30 per month. Bins were collected without any fee being charged. Mind you, they never paid my invoice for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Bojill

So the account is closed, no problem there.
    They just want 30 eur to collect the bins
    "Please note that as per T&C we do charge €15 cancellation fee per bin which need to be paid before bins can be removed"
    I've asked for an invoice for the charge and told them the bins are on the road waiting collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Tango One

Hate to bump an old thread but would love to know where this landed was there any come back from or anyone else had this problem.

I'm moving to a new bin company from Thornton, they are looking for 15 quid per bin "canceling fee", My contract with them is over and I have been a customer for 15 years, I had been paying by the year.

I was surprised they were very aggressive on the call, I asked when this charge came into action, they couldn't tell me. I asked when they notified me of the change. She said she was notifying me now and its been on their website for "ages".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd ask for where you agreed to this. If they've nothing in writing, then tell them it'll be outside available for collection.

Thought as much plus they increase the price since last year. Which I would also think would void anything they believe the have over me. Terrible behaviour by them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I noticed in the price increase (annual charge), the invoice is for 11 months not 12....

Well they came back to say they don't do contracts? But they do terms and conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

You can tell them where did you sign up to their terms and conditions - proof

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭garyfleming7

I'm looking to move myself and seen this too. Any way out of it? Any one have any success?

Advertisement