Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shunned from friend

Options
  • 28-12-2018 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Couple months ago I had a friend who was off towards me.
    I asked them what was up and if there was any issue and they said there wasn't.
    A few days later they removed me from Facebook, so they very much was off towards me.
    A few days after that I get a message accusing me of something I didn't do and since then I have been given the silent treatment from them.
    I even went to them a few weeks after to try and mend things and they completely dismissed me.

Why do people do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

My first thought is 'attention'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Did something you do or the motives for your actions get misinterpreted, perhaps.?

Or is some poisonous Iago dropping poison in your friends ear?

Nothing you can do about either scenario, I'm afraid. You've tried to clear the air which is all you can do. If the other person isn't receptive you'll just have to let them go, as unfair as that is.

On a side note, how has this person been behaving towards other friends. If this is a pattern of behaviour towards people out of the blue there might be a mental health issue at play but that's unlikely.

If you are genuinely not guilty of anything I think one of the first two scenarios are most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It doesn't matter why someone would do that. What matters is that there is a failed friendship and how it makes you feel.

It's a failed friendship. It's life. It happens. You have to ask yourself why you are asking months after the falling out. Do you have any other friends or did you just have the one friend? There's loads of avenues to make new friendships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

What were you accused of ? I think it sounds like good riddance. Anybody who won't even let you explain is not worth the long term effort. Do not return bile for bile. Move on. If asked to comment by others simply say they made a false accusation . Don't say anything more as that only feeds the fire

It doesn't matter why someone would do that. What matters is that there is a failed friendship and how it makes you feel.

This is rubbish advice. Of course it matters why someone would do that. Your reply seems like it's ok for someone not to take accountibility for their actions and just turning it around on the OP's feelings. You have to ask yourself why you think that is ok.

• Advertisement

My understanding from the original post is that the friendship is over and has been for some months. I presume the op and the ex friend is not in each other's life's any more. Dwelling on the why's won't do any good.

Advertisement