Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Anyone every used Sobac in stead of fertiliser

Options
  • 28-12-2018 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone ever used sobac bacteriasol instead of fertiliser. It is supposed to have good results

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I'm seriously thinking of trying it. And the decision is mainly based on the price of fert. No P + K or lime input costs.
    It's a long term program which is kind of the most off putting thing. But we'll see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How does it work?
    Is it mixed with the slurry or just spread on the fields?

Two different forms of it, 1st is added to the slurry, the 2nd is spread like fertiliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I presume it qualifies as organic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What is in it actually?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mooooo wrote: »
    What is in it actually?

This is the difficult part, if you contact them and ask you just get referred to anecdotal evidence rather than specific scientific tests or explanation. That may just be bad business but it worries me.

When I contact a company and ask for details on content and evidence “why not try some” is not an acceptable answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

_Brian wrote: »
    This is the difficult part, if you contact them and ask you just get referred to anecdotal evidence rather than specific scientific tests or explanation. That may just be bad business but it worries me.

When I contact a company and ask for details on content and evidence “why not try some” is not an acceptable answer.

Sounds like magic fairy powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Crowd rang here selling teat dip one day and off she went saying what it does. Asked her what the ingredients were and she couldn't answer.... needless to say no sale

• Registered Users Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There are a few posters who have used it from previous threads on sobac.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057908442

Maybe who ever is interested could send them a pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Does anyone have any info on distributors? Or what kinda form it comes in - I assume the bactiosol one for land can be spread with a normal fertiliser spreader?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Does anyone have any info on distributors? Or what kinda form it comes in - I assume the bactiosol one for land can be spread with a normal fertiliser spreader?
    I seen it advertised on done deal last. I contacted tge company who sold it. Only sold in 600 kg bags. It does seem a bit like fairy dust i was thinking the same regards fertilizer prices. I seen that fertilizer is due to go up again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I seen it advertised on done deal last. I contacted tge company who sold it. Only sold in 600 kg bags. It does seem a bit like fairy dust i was thinking the same regards fertilizer prices. I seen that fertilizer is due to go up again this year

Well, that’s me out so, cos I don’t have the machinery to manage big bags...

Pity, cos I would be very interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I used it one year. I didn’t do soill samples or anything scientific like that but I had serious grass on the field I spread it that year. Grew lovely hay meadows. Would definitely consider it again but at the moment i’m Disillusioned with spending money on inputs. Taking a step back and just claiming sfp. The stocking rate is being kept low so no inputs needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

How much would a big 600kg bag for the fertiliser spreader cost ?

It'd be right gas if it turned out to be pelleted pig manure.

How much would a big 600kg bag for the fertiliser spreader cost ?

€965, spread in or around the 60kg/acre mark.

It'd be right gas if it turned out to be pelleted pig manure.

It'd be right gas if it turned out to be 60-65% of the input cost of chemical fertiliser for the same output. Helping soil structure is a by-product but maintaining soil index's is the aim.

€965, spread in or around the 60kg/acre mark.

4 times the price of fertilizer. Pity it wasn’t more price competitive as I’m sure more lads would give it a try then.

4 times the price of fertilizer. Pity it wasn’t more price competitive as I’m sure more lads would give it a try then.

For 10acres,how much compound chemical fert would you apply to silage ground do you mind me asking?

For 10acres,how much compound chemical fert would you apply to silage ground do you mind me asking?

I suppose a bag of 18 6 12 costs €20 so the same money would buy you 4 bags of that instead.

• Advertisement

A bit on the sobac slurry additive.
    Interesting that the farmer noticed the grass that received slurry with the slurry bugs hadn't got the same punch as grass that received slurry only. I've seen that mentioned before but the article assures that there's a longer lasting effect.

(It's all in French but I think most devices now can translate?)
    https://www.paysan-breton.fr/2018/10/des-micro-organismes-pour-developper-la-vie-du-sol/

A dairy farmer milking montbeliardes using the products. (There's seemingly more than the two that's available on the irish market ).
    http://sante-terre-vivant.fr/portait-de-daniel-coutant-autonomie-et-transmission-toute-une-philosophie/?fbclid=IwAR2bemEE1hvg5X6Uo1FICEzBCr4mZiUTyyLYaMt2HId9xbUSLUJePyCks4U

YouTube clip of the spiel.
    https://youtu.be/PcliCdXtSR4

All those links came from Sobac's Twitter account.

Advertisement