Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Portable music player

Options
  • 27-12-2018 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭

Please forgive me if this seems pretty basic, or has been covered before. I'm pretty clueless on these matters.

I have c. 6,000 music tracks saved on an external hard drive and I'll be adding more. I have a good sound system in my car and it is kitted out to enable me to listen to other devices through the sound system.

I want a device that can store 10,000 tracks and can be played in my car or portably. I'm not prepared to spend anymore than €200. What should I be looking for and where do I find it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Just get a 128GB micro SD for your phone. Should be good for around 12,000 songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭megadodge

Thanks for the reply.

What's the sound quality like on phones?
    I have a Huawei. Don't know the model. It's pretty solid.

What I had in mind was something I can just leave in the car all connected up, so any time I hop in I can just turn it on straight away, instead of having to rig up the phone every time.

Are there any MP3 players out there that would fit my needs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

megadodge wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

What's the sound quality like on phones?
    I have a Huawei. Don't know the model. It's pretty solid.

What I had in mind was something I can just leave in the car all connected up, so any time I hop in I can just turn it on straight away, instead of having to rig up the phone every time.

Are there any MP3 players out there that would fit my needs?

Is there a USB port in the car or on the stereo? You could try out a memory stick and see if it picks up the music and, if it works, then buy a high-capacity low-profile one to leave plugged in permanently. You could plug in the hard drive you have either but the little stick would be tidier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LLEODCK/

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is there a USB port in the car or on the stereo? You could try out a memory stick and see if it picks up the music and, if it works, then buy a high-capacity low-profile one to leave plugged in permanently. You could plug in the hard drive you have either but the little stick would be tidier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LLEODCK/

Good man Patww79!!

There is indeed a USB port and it plays!

Thank you very much.

Is the 64gb USB in the link you gave good to hold 10,000 tracks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

megadodge wrote: »
    Good man Patww79!!

There is indeed a USB port and it plays!

Thank you very much.

Is the 64gb USB in the link you gave good to hold 10,000 tracks?

Would depend on the quality of the tracks (file size) but I think 64GB normally comes in at around 12000 to 16000 songs.

Would be likely the car can read any folders you have too, so you could navigate by artist/album through the stereo if you have them sorted into folders that way on the stick.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Would depend on the quality of the tracks (file size) but I think 64GB normally comes in at around 12000 to 16000 songs.

Would be likely the car can read any folders you have too, so you could navigate by artist/album through the stereo if you have them sorted into folders that way on the stick.

Thanks again.

Advertisement