Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface Go (8GB/128GB) & Keyboard bundle 545 eur on Amazon UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Does that have a mouse and a full version of Windows? My heart is broken with the iPad Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

I bought a surface (series 3 I think) only 3/4 years ago. Paid over €800 for it including the keyboard. Bloody things a paperweight now. Completely knackered. Slow, crap battery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭corkie

Surface Go with Linux Review: almost the perfect open source notepad

Edit: -
    Good Price deal anyway!

With CES around the corner in the New Year, this is probably not a good time to be investing in a Tablet.

I on the lookout for a replacement for my ageing Nexus 9!

As I'm invested in the Android ecosystem, be keeping an eye on ChromeOS developments, Asus 10" ChromeOS Tablet, is what I'm waiting to hear about.

But hopefully it won't be an expensive device, anything over €500 would be outside my budget.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

the surface go is well reviewed and the 8gb ram model is the one that you want.

that is a very good deal.

the keyboard is supposed to be very decent for typing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

I have one for past three years and the only issue has been that I needed a new power supply (40 on Amazon) and it has been so good, I've hardly touched my Macbook Air as it has paled by comparison. Good price for a really nice bit of tech:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Just in case anyone wants or needs an actual useful review:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

I bought a surface (series 3 I think) only 3/4 years ago. Paid over €800 for it including the keyboard. Bloody things a paperweight now. Completely knackered. Slow, crap battery etc.

Hi
    Which version you have ? (i3/5/7).

Thinking 'bout selling it ?

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭corkie

Mixed reviews on this device.

Overpriced hardware for what it is?

I linked earlier that it is possible to install Linux on it, and from that also possible to run android apps with Anbox.

But doubt the usability of the same.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

fulhamfan wrote: »
    I have one for past three years and the only issue has been that I needed a new power supply (40 on Amazon) and it has been so good, I've hardly touched my Macbook Air as it has paled by comparison. Good price for a really nice bit of tech:)

These are only out this year.. You would have had one of the more powerful earlier Surface models

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I find the surfaces are awful. Battery life is absolutely appalling unless you turn down the brightness way way down otherwise you barely get 3 hours.
    Windows is truly crap at managing battery life.
    Also known issues with the screen dimming with the latest Microsoft approved intel drivers that force the screen brightness down to save battery after being heavily criticized for significantly inflating power times. There’s workarounds to get newer intel drivers installed but basically outside of the comfort zone for the average person.
    On the other side that screen is gorgeous and having windows readily available is great.
    Personally though I would prefer the iPad Pro hardware with windows on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Does that have a mouse and a full version of Windows? My heart is broken with the iPad Pro.

By default they have Windows 10 in S mode which disables installation of non-Windows store apps in favour of better battery life and faster boot times but apparently this can be easily disabled so in essence it's a full version of Windows, just not on first boot. Not sure how much of an impact on battery life this would have but would personally be useless to me in S mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Blazer wrote: »
    I find the surfaces are awful. Battery life is absolutely appalling unless you turn down the brightness way way down otherwise you barely get 3 hours.
    Windows is truly crap at managing battery life.
    Also known issues with the screen dimming with the latest Microsoft approved intel drivers that force the screen brightness down to save battery after being heavily criticized for significantly inflating power times. There’s workarounds to get newer intel drivers installed but basically outside of the comfort zone for the average person.
    On the other side that screen is gorgeous and having windows readily available is great.
    Personally though I would prefer the iPad Pro hardware with windows on it.

but all the battery reviews on these contrast with what you write.

And you cant put Windows on an IPad Pro so why bring that nonsense into the thread... :rolleyes:

the go seems to be a good device going from most reviews and for this price is a proper deal - unsure why some people have gone searching for negative reviews to post them......

if you need something very portable and light with full windows capability you could use it as your main device although it probably works better as a second one.

the cpu with 8gb ram has plenty of power for most normal use - ms office, browsing, streaming etc. it's on the level of core i3 chips a chip generation back (1 year)

and the keyboard seems ok even tho it is designed for a 10 inch device.

battery life seems to be about 7 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Couple of months on, Anyone buy one and having buyers regret want to pass on?

I’m looking to pull the trigger on one shortly but don’t mind lightly used

Advertisement