Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feline Immundeficiency Virus and strong smell from cat

Options
  • 26-12-2018 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

My cat was recently diagnosed with Feline Immundeficiency Virus, and since around that time has got smelly. He is still grooming normally.

The vet wasn't very helpful, and didn't seem to connect the two events.

Anybody have any suggestions or ideas as to the cause of the strong smell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

Thanks Cocker5.

The smell I get is from his fur in general.

Haven't noticed smelly breath from him, but if he is suffering from a bad oral infection (as is common in FIV according to that article), that would be carried on his saliva onto his fur when he is grooming. So it looks like an oral infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Has the cat been checked for signs of Feline Stomatitis, breath would be a good indicator but worth checking it out fully since FIV can be associated with its onset.

Also try monitoring it's fluid intake, cats (males in particular i believe) on dry food are more prone to kidney problems, i'm just guessing here but if the cat isn't drinking enough fluids this could affect the saliva and cause the fur to smell when grooming. someone with more knowledge will probably be better able to advice on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pawrick wrote: »
    Has the cat been checked for signs of Feline Stomatitis, breath would be a good indicator but worth checking it out fully since FIV can be associated with its onset.

Also try monitoring it's fluid intake, cats (males in particular i believe) on dry food are more prone to kidney problems, i'm just guessing here but if the cat isn't drinking enough fluids this could affect the saliva and cause the fur to smell when grooming. someone with more knowledge will probably be better able to advice on this.

Echoing and endorsing this. I stopped using dry food totally for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'd recommend joining the FIV Cat Support Group on facebook. A wealth of knowledge and experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

Op here with an update.

Finally brought my cat to the vet (reason for delay is a long story - let's say I wasn't happy with the young inexperienced vets that operated in my local clinic, and got an appointment with an experienced one) and that vet did a full and thorough examination and found out the bad smell was from an ingrown badly infected toe-nail.

No stomatis or gingivitis - just a simple infected toe-nail.

Advertisement