Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spaniel with diarrhoea

Options
  • 26-12-2018 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I got a 15 month old cocker spaniel a week ago and its developed diarrhoea in the last 24 hours.

Its on Eukanuba dried food.
    It was on the cheapest of Supervalu mixes but a week on it so I assume its wasnt the change of food.

I'm not feeding it for the next 24 hours to see if things settle down. and leaving water available.

Has anyone any ideas what could cause it or how to treat it?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

It might well be the change in food or it could also be stress. If you got him a week ago and it's been a very higgeldy piggeldy week since you've gotten him, seeing as though it's Christmas, that could lead to him having a dodgy stomach. Also, given that it's Christmas are you certain that the dog hasn't eaten or been fed something that's likely to upset it's stomach?
    Definitely make sure there's water available and that he's drinking. I would offer a small amount of bland food later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Kids know not to feed him Human food but can't be certain he didn't get a bit of meat.

Are a bone yesterday that had some meat on it. My wife cooked it. Not sure it needed to be cooked.
    Its been drinking a lot from puddles outside. We're in the country. I assume it wouldn't drink tainted water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

A cooked bone?

Please do not give your dog a cooked bone ... ever

All bones must be raw when eaten.. cooked bones can splinter and cause all sorts of issues

Starving for 24 hours is old school to be honest .. I’d offer boiled chicken and rice ...

Change in home / food cause cause all sorts of upset

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Pools/ puddles outside on countryside can be contaminated with leptospirosis and other things etc.. please do not let him drink from puddles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Cooked bones can easily splinter and aren't recommended for dogs.
    If you're very worried about the dog a phonecall to the out of hours vet where you can describe all the symptoms would get you the best advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

For the love of dog please stop referring to your pet as 'it'.

For the love of dog please stop referring to your pet as 'it'.

What's your problem with my referring to it as "it"?

What do you think I should call it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What's your problem with my referring to it as "it"?

What do you think I should call it?

Him/he/his name. ‘It’ sounds like you don’t give a crap about the dog..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Feed a bland diet (e.g. chicken + rice) for 24 hours, make sure the dog has some water available at all times. Then reintroduce normal food. It could well be stress or the change in food that's caused it in the first place.

However, if the dog has been drinking from puddles or eaten anything that could potentially be toxic (chocolate, mince pies, anything with raisins/grapes, anything containing xylitol etc) then I'd be calling a vet at the very least.

tk123 wrote: »
    Him/he/his name. ‘It’ sounds like you don’t give a crap about the dog..

This is why I hate coming on here^^^^^^.

It doesn't matter, whether it's a him /her / or "name". It doesn't add to or take away from the facts as they stand.

Gave it chicken and rice this morning and seems to be ok so far. In good form so not too worried.

I suppose you'll tell me your pet is closer to you than your brother:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

That is the case for a lot of people actually, that pets can be closer than people to them.

Sometimes giving the dog's sex does matter when you're describing signs and symptoms of an illness.

This is derailing the thread in any case tbh, I'm glad your dog is feeling better, but I'd still keep an eye for deterioration or any sign of the diarrhoea returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

This is why I hate coming on here^^^^^^.

It doesn't matter, whether it's a him /her / or "name". It doesn't add to or take away from the facts as they stand.

It does for me and I'm sure others would tailor their response too based on how much time/effort they think somebody would put into taking care of their pet. For example if i think somebody is happy to make chicken and rice I'd suggest that, if I think they're too busy I'd suggest wet food (I use wet food for one of mine when he's sick with his pancreatitis), If I think they're a worrier like one of my friends I'd tell them to go to the vet for peace of mind....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Dog Better.
    Thread closed.

Ridiculous arguments, which contravene the forum requirement that posters try to be respectful of one another, are the cause of this closure, and because I couldn't be arsed having to continue to scold adults about the way they speak to one another.
    Tis the season to be jolly etc etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement