Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice needed on Audi A5

Options
  • 26-12-2018 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

I'm considering an Audi a5 coupe 2009 1.8 TFSI petrol. Mileage is just under 80,000 miles. Dealer is looking for about 8.5k.

I've done the cartell report and all stacks up on that front. One previous owner and he sold it to the garage at the end of October. Just wondering would it be unusual that they still have the car 2 months later? Just wondering if it would be a warning sign. Haven't seen the car yet but looks to be in good condition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I'm considering an Audi a5 coupe 2009 1.8 TFSI petrol. Mileage is just under 80,000 miles. Dealer is looking for about 8.5k.

I've done the cartell report and all stacks up on that front. One previous owner and he sold it to the garage at the end of October. Just wondering would it be unusual that they still have the car 2 months later? Just wondering if it would be a warning sign. Haven't seen the car yet but looks to be in good condition

Nah I wouldn't be worried about the 2 month thing, that'd be a normal enough turnover time for a car like that. The diesels are the one 90% of people want unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Nah I wouldn't be worried about the 2 month thing, that'd be a normal enough turnover time for a car like that. The diesels are the one 90% of people want unfortunately.

Cheers.... I did consider a diesel but it really makes no sense for me. Other than the odd trip from cork to Dublin, its mainly a relatively short daily commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I like that 1.8 engine. Bro had it in an a3. A mate of his still driving it. Must have 200k miles up.

2 months is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Doesn’t that engine had a reputation for excessive oil consumption?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Doesn’t that engine had a reputation for excessive oil consumption?

From what I can gather its the 2 litre had that problem and not the 1.8, but I'm open to correction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is the 2.0 litre not just a bored out version of the 1.8 litre block though?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is the 2.0 litre not just a bored out version of the 1.8 litre block though?

No idea. I don't know enough about cars to answer. From looking online, the oil issue was an issue that didn't hit every car, but for the ones impacted, there was an expensive fix which in some cases was under warranty and in others seemed to be a shared cost. One thing that would lead me to believe that it wasn't an issue with this case, or at least that it was resolved, is that it's been 1 owner since new

Just a small point, but if it’s 09D24248 then it’s 2 owners (not including the garage, which doesn’t count, so book will say 1 previous owner, which in this case means two actual owners plus whatever garage has it now. If it was 1 owner, book would show 0 previous owners)

Just a small point, but if it’s 09D24248 then it’s 2 owners (not including the garage, which doesn’t count, so book will say 1 previous owner, which in this case means two actual owners plus whatever garage has it now. If it was 1 owner, book would show 0 previous owners)
    The check on that car says number of previous owners 0 and no. Of owners 1.

The check on that car says number of previous owners 0 and no. Of owners 1.

You are correct, for some reason the seller manually put 1 previous owner in the donedeal advert. That threw me.

Do you know what level of warranty the seller can give?

• Advertisement

You are correct, for some reason the seller manually put 1 previous owner in the donedeal advert. That threw me.

Ah right, i get ya. What do you think of the car? I haven't spoken to them yet about warranties

Ah right, i get ya. What do you think of the car?

I think it’s lovely if you’re actually going out looking for a 1.8 petrol A5.
    It does strike me as a bit pricey for a 10 year old one (you can get them from around half that money) but where are you going to get another 1 owner low mileage one?

If I was paying over the top, I’d want to understand what work these need, along with what’s been done, and what happens if something unexpectedly goes wrong in the next year.

I think it’s lovely if you’re actually going out looking for a 1.8 petrol A5.
    It does strike me as a bit pricey for a 10 year old one (you can get them from around half that money) but where are you going to get another 1 owner low mileage one?

If I was paying over the top, I’d want to understand what work these need, along with what’s been done, and what happens if something unexpectedly goes wrong in the next year.

Thanks for the advice. Wouldn't have thought that it's going for half that price, from looking on done deal and elsewhere. Price looks pretty much in line tbh. I did see one for around the 4 mark but that had. Dodgy gearbox

Mickdw on here had or has a 1.8 A5

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-audi-a5-1-8-tfsi-auto-170bhp-black-editio/20791264

This one is just after coming up for sale. If its been looked after as well as they claim, is the mileage too high on it? I'm not overly bothered about resale value as I'd intend keeping it for a number of years and I only do about 15k kms a year with the odd trip to Dublin.

Interested in your opinions on it

This would be multitronic rather than DSG. Assuming A5 is the same as A4 in that department?

I’d be double checking the service history to see if all 4 owners were as meticulous as the seller says. Good Year tyres a good sign anyway. Like the other one it’s big money, Black Edition adds desirability, not an Audi man but those don’t look like the Black Edition wheels.

This would be multitronic rather than DSG. Assuming A5 is the same as A4 in that department?

I’d be double checking the service history to see if all 4 owners were as meticulous as the seller says. Good Year tyres a good sign anyway. Like the other one it’s big money, Black Edition adds desirability, not an Audi man but those don’t look like the Black Edition wheels.
    Yeah tbh I think it's probably too expensive with the mileage and I'm not gone on the idea of a multitronic

Did they even do an A5 "Black Edition" back then? Wasn't the Black Edition based on the S Line? I'm not too up to date on Audi specs but those don't look like S Line seats to me.

Did they even do an A5 "Black Edition" back then? Wasn't the Black Edition based on the S Line? I'm not too up to date on Audi specs but those don't look like S Line seats to me.

You're spot on about the seats. Definitely not s-line seats. I think the alloys are just black and they seem to have made it all black edition. S-tronic was available at the time too so if there was a black edition, it would be very strange that it would end up with multitronic

Pretty sure the black edition only added a black grille and special wheels to the S line back then. I’m sure I’ve seen them with cream seats before but to me that car doesn’t have the right wheels.

• Advertisement

I also think only the Quattro versions got S-Tronic, front wheel drive versions got Multitronic

I also think only the Quattro versions got S-Tronic, front wheel drive versions got Multitronic

That would make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

The add says its an A5 auto with black edition kit. It doesn't say the car is black edition.

There isn’t really a such thing as a Black Edition kit for that model A5, just a black grille and special wheels in addition to S line spec, and this one doesn’t have the wheels and I’m not even certain it’s an S Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

It's a pretty fugly example, black edition or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Did the sline a5 not have sline on the steering wheel same as the a6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

There is nothing black edition about that car, not even the wheels. Odd spec interior too.

Black edition doesn’t seem to have come out till 2011 either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Nice car, pity about the colour of the wheel and dash.

Advertisement