Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving exam, three point turn indicators?

Options
  • 24-12-2018 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

When doing the three point turn do you need to indicate at all?

I presume you don't anyway with the reverse around corner!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Of course you do. You pull into the side of the road, your examiner/instructor will tell you to complete the turnabout manoeuvre when you're ready, and your first step should be to complete your observation in your right mirror and indicate to move off. During the manoeuvre you do not use the indicator again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭EntryDenied12

Of course you do. You pull into the side of the road, your examiner/instructor will tell you to complete the turnabout manoeuvre when you're ready, and your first step should be to complete your observation in your right mirror and indicate to move off. During the manoeuvre you do not use the indicator again.

Didn't mean to be so vague, yes when you're pulling in you do indicate after the junction and then cancel when you reached your destination to do your reverse around the corner.

I believe in Dane Tyghe's 3 point turn video he doesn't indicate at all?
    Correct me if i'm wrong when performing the three point turn:

(Car will be parked at side of road with handbrake up, facing traffic of opposite direction)
    1. Select first gear
    2. Observation all around
    3. Indicate
    4. Observation all around
    5. Handbrake down and move off
    6. Ongoing observation whilst performing turn
    7. As I approach the kerb, slight turn of wheel to opposite direction
    8. Brake and hand brake up
    9. Observation all around
    10. Select reverse gear
    11. Observation all around and move off
    12. As reversing and approaching near kerb i brake and pull up handbrake
    13. Observation and do i need to indicate as i'm on the other side of the road?
    14. Select first gear, observation, handbrake down, move off

Is this the correct way?
    Thank you!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As I said, you only use the indicator once, when moving off from the side of the road at the start. Indicating at any other time during the turnabout is not required as it would confuse other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

I presume you haven't bothered to take any lessons from a known reputable driving school/instructor..
    I would strongly advise as I have recently seen a few of my work colleagues sons & daughters fail their tests repeatedly until they realized that they weren't actually good competent drivers and were making many small but significant mistakes and had been driving for a few years and in turn had actually gotten used to their mistakes and thought they would pass driving test easily..
    Consider a few lessons and take advice and no doubt some criticism from the instructor and it will save having to ask questions here they will sort out you weak points before sitting your test.
    Good luck

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Indicate left when pulling in before the turnabout

Indicate right when moving off at the start of the turnabout.

Indicate left if asked to pull in as you complete the turnabout.

ADI here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

Didn't mean to be so vague, yes when you're pulling in you do indicate after the junction and then cancel when you reached your destination to do your reverse around the corner.

I believe in Dane Tyghe's 3 point turn video he doesn't indicate at all?
    Correct me if i'm wrong when performing the three point turn:

(Car will be parked at side of road with handbrake up, facing traffic of opposite direction)
    1. Select first gear
    3. Indicate
    5. Handbrake down and move off
    6. Ongoing observation whilst performing turn
    7. As I approach the kerb, slight turn of wheel to opposite direction
    8. Brake and hand brake up
    9. Observation all around
    10. Select reverse gear
    11. Observation all around and move off
    12. As reversing and approaching near kerb i brake and pull up handbrake
    13. Observation and do i need to indicate as i'm on the other side of the road?
    14. Select first gear, observation, handbrake down, move off

Is this the correct way?
    Thank you!!

Too many needless observations

3. Indicate

It should take a spit second to indicate, so why take two observations a spit second apart ?

combine 8. and 10. Delete 9.
    Combine 12. and 14.

Observations when moving off. Get ready, do necessary observation, if safe, indicate and go.

And no problem with indicating on first and last manoeuvre. You are going to drive across the road, there really should be no nearby traffic coming, so nobody really to benefit. But there could be a somebody/something a safe distance away that it would, so, indicate first and perhaps last

And take proper lessons with a good instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭EntryDenied12

On hill starts i know you indicate as you pull in.

But once you are performing the hill start is it really necessary to indicate right while pulling away to go up the hill?
    Sorry for the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Jesus yes its absolutely vital as its exactly the same as moving off from a kerb ..you clearly need to use right indicator to let other road users know your intention.. to begin driving off from parked..there not physic..
    Read my previous post..lessons are vital

Advertisement