Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 5" Sat Nav Lifetime Ire&UK maps €45

Options
  • 24-12-2018 2:42pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

160303?w=637&h=403160303c?w=637&h=403

Click & Collect @ Halfords

Full Garmin spec and Map updates info

The offer price is €50, but 10% off with any groupscheme/Axa card etc to get it for €45.

Checked a few store and they have stock.
    To get map and software updates, just connect to a computer and install with the Garmin software which is all free. Can take a microSD at a later stage if needed.
    What's in the box
    • Garmin nüvi® 2529LMT-D
    • Vehicle suction cup mount
    • Antenna/vehicle power cable
    • USB cable
    • Product documentation
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Cracking price...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭go4it

From what i know, the maps are updated for the lifetime of the device itself, and not transferable to another garmin device ( in case the original one breaks down, gets stolen, etc )
    Good value nevertheless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Does the traffic function via DAB work ok in Ireland on these does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

I find the Waze smartphone app to be very good and use instead of a GPS. But each to their own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

go4it wrote: »
    From what i know, the maps are updated for the lifetime of the device itself, and not transferable to another garmin device ( in case the original one breaks down, gets stolen, etc )
    Good value nevertheless

That is true, but these rarely break unless you cut the charging cable while plugged in and it fry's the board. Some of the newer models can crack the glass but most are fixed cheaply enough.

mollymac57 wrote: »
    I find the Waze smartphone app to be very good and use instead of a GPS. But each to their own.

It is very good, but sometimes a standalone is handy to have especially if you use it a lot. Its less distracting than a phone also. If this normal price it would be worth it, but €45, holder, charger and free map updates I thought it was a great price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Seems to be no stock anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭KinnegadKid

Thanks to the original poster..I picked mine up yesterday from Halfords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

None locally (Waterford) but Limerick and Galway have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

“Lifetime maps” my hole.

Once they release a new version of the satnav they consider the older one at the end of its useful lifetime.

I tried updating mine, it wasn’t a storage size or software compatibility issue, they just decided I needed to buy a new one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

154074?w=637&h=403

Anyone picking up the garmin, can pick up a 8GB micro SD card and a carry case for €5
    (€4.50 with Axa/3Plus/groupscheme)

https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cam-accessories/nextbase-dash-cam-go-pack

• Advertisement

Davy wrote:
    Anyone picking up the garmin, can pick up a 8GB micro SD card and a carry case for €5 (€4.50 with Axa/3Plus/groupscheme)

OOS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Hmm...collectable from Limerick.... I use a very old one for driving in the States... I guess it's only Uk and Ireland maps?? Can I get free US maps on it?

Have one on hold. Definitely worth it? Anyone picked one up yet? Any new tech in satnav that would be missing from an older model like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 caiconafita

Does it give you the traffic situation?

Does it give you the traffic situation?

g0g wrote:
    Have one on hold. Definitely worth it? Anyone picked one up yet? Any new tech in satnav that would be missing from an older model like this?

Picked today...excellent bit of kit...has lifetime traffic and maps...updated to 2018 maps and software...

Connects to your phone to make receive calls as well...

You can send maps locations from your phone to the device as well...

Have decided against buying this. If anyone wants a code valid until tomorrow for Carrickmines and will definitely use the code just PM me. I called them the other day and they said it was held for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Just curious why anyone is still buying Sat Navs - when Google Maps, which is free and accessible on pretty much all smart phones, is more powerful and extremely accurate, particularly for your ETA.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,027 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

donnyvegas wrote: »
    Just curious why anyone is still buying Sat Navs - when Google Maps, which is free and accessible on pretty much all smart phones, is more powerful and extremely accurate, particularly for your ETA.

I think the satnav will still suit some people more. Straightforward too mount, user interface suited to car, no need for data connection, can leave it in car. I'll use Google maps but there are times satnav still works better for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Just my take on the smartphone alternatives I use.

In Ireland I usually use Google Maps. However I have found from time to time it can advise of a turn after the turn has just been passed...usually if in a slow data area, or weak GPS (high buildings) or abroad. That's painful on occasion!

Otherwise I use Here We Go maps (used to be Nokia maps) which can work perfectly fine offline. It has global maps to download by country or regions of a country. Has point to point spoken navigation. Does not require a data connection only GPS. Available free both on iOS and Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

• Advertisement
Advertisement