Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't helmets have wipers?

Options
  • 22-12-2018 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

I recently got a scooter and have completed my IBT training, so I'm allowed on the road. When I was training in October the weather was good ie not raining and little wind. The things I struggled with initially with were speed and corners. I was using a push bike so was used to the roads but when I went out with the scooter, 30km felt like 100km! Going around corners scared the crap out of me because I was afraid I was going to fall off or take a corner too fast and veer into traffic on the other side of the road. With practice those issues don't bother me anymore.

Obviously the weather got worse and my new enemy was wind. When I was on the push bike and it got windy, I simply stopped, got off and walked the bike. Obviously that's not an option with a scooter. If I'm going 50km in traffic, I can't suddenly stop because the wind is scaring me. I got over this by forcing myself to drive all around the prom in Salthill and I feel pretty confident now. I still wouldn't drive if I felt it was too windy though. The last thing I want is to put me or other road users at risk.

The last problem I have and it's an ongoing one, is the rain. I work during the day and obviously at this time of year it's dark before and after work. Driving in the dark doesn't faze me but the rain is another issue. I have all the protective gear but my helmet is driving me nuts. I wear glasses and when I put the visor down, the condensation fogs up everything and I can't see. I asked my instructor about it and he said to open the visor a bit, which I did and that solved the problem.

The problem I can't solve is rain on the visor, which is reducing my visibility. I asked the instructor about it and he said you just get used to it. But I'm not. The worst is light mist/drizzle. The drops just stay on the visor and severely limit visibility. I know if I go fast enough the droplets will merge and fall away (not describing it properly :o) but I'm in the city, so not driving fast.

I looked on line and some suggested using Mr Sheen. I did that and to be honest it made no difference. Why don't helmets have wipers or is that a stupid thing to ask? I know this is a long post but I wanted to get across that I'm a complete novice and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I absolutely love my scooter and driving around is a pleasure but I don't want to risk my life or anyone else's by me making a stupid mistake due to poor visibility. Is there any spray you can get for the visor that makes it anti-water or is this something that I have to learn to compensate for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get a glove with wiper fitted, there are nano tech products you can apply that helps the water run straight off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Get a glove with wiper fitted, there are nano tech products you can apply that helps the water run straight off.
    I just googled that, thanks.

Nano tech products I'm stumped on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Get a new helmet with a pin lock visor and ride faster :P

mamax wrote: »
    Get a new helmet with a pin lock visor and ride faster :P
    Definitely don't think that's going to help!

What's a pin lock visor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Helmet visors don't have wipers because they're plastic...no plastic is totally scratch free, so any wiper will destroy it in seconds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭ratracer

Paddy Cow wrote: »

What's a pin lock visor?

If you can google gloves with wipers, then google pin lock visor - it will solve all your condensation problems in one foul swoop. Either that or put a small rubber strip or even some blue tack on your current helmet. This will also stop the condensation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

The way I deal with it is a big fairing, a screen the right height and ride with the visor slightly up. I just get used to the rest.

Rain drops aren't so much a pain in the hole as fogging. A properly fitted pinlock visor will stop the visor fogging, but it still leaves you the problem of your glasses fogging up. Put some anti-fog stuff on them or get a breath deflector like a Respro Foggy mask that will stop you breath rising up and fogging your glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What's a pin lock visor?

On a bike the faster you go the less water builds up and it's a simple twist of the head for a completely clear visor. Not possible to do in traffic so a glove with a wiper is a must.

Double glazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Helmet visors don't have wipers because they're plastic...no plastic is totally scratch free, so any wiper will destroy it in seconds...
    I'm surprised at you of all people Max :D
    Motorcycle Helmet Grey Windsreen Wiper Windshield Clean - YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The faster you ride the quicker the rain is blown off your visor :D

• Advertisement

The faster you ride the quicker the rain is blown off your visor :D
    Even as a novice I know that smart ar$e but I can't ride faster in city traffic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Wax works well, the water will bead off the visor. I wax my windscreen with a spray on quick wax every time i wash my car and rarely need to use my wipers when it rains. Used to keep my visor waxed on the bike and it helped a lot

Another thing I'm not sure about is speed limits. I actively look out for them but because I drive mainly in the dark, I can't see them. Plus I'm still getting used to the speed of the bike. I was driving down Lough Atalia road and the speed limit was 50km. I checked my speed and I was doing 60km. Oops. I honestly didn't think I was going that fast. Obviously I slowed down and will pay more attention. I wasn't intentionally speeding and put it down to experience.

I've been hearing on the radio that they are getting really strict on speed limits and are putting massive penalty points on your license if you go over. Would a general rule of thumb be to drive at 50km in the city? Usually I just keep up with the flow of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭J.R.

Not a biker, but this works well on cars, so I presume the same theory applies:

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/screenwash-de-icer/rain-x-rain-repellent-200ml

Pour a little bit on the visor, and then wipe off/work in with a soft cloth.

On my car, though, it rarely helps unless Im moving more than about 80kph so not sure how practical it'd really be for you.

They also have an anti-fog product for inside glass that seems to work, too (used it on an old car with a broken heater, that you couldn't see out the window of if left overnight, and it helped a lot).

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/screenwash-de-icer/rain-x-anti-fog-200ml

J.R. wrote: »
    We have that exact same sign at the front of our estate so it's one speed limit I know how to follow. If only the rest were so obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Sew a small strip (1-2 inches) of microfibre cloth to the bottom of your left glove, just below your thumb. Then one swipe with your left hand across your visor will clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You were born with a wiper at end of each arm.

You'll get used to it. Just look beyond the droplets, if it's not heavy rain I tend to open the visor around town in rain or approaching junctions, roundabouts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Goose81

I tend to drive with the visor open when I can in the rain.

I also note I'm over cautious because I crashed a moped when I was younger in the rain which was completely my fault, but I can't believe the speed some lads go up the N11 in the lashing rain, mostly older lads up the bus lane on new BMW tourer type bikes doing 100kmh , if a car pulls out goodnight. Reckon these must be lads who have never come off, I'd love to have that confidence in the wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Kawalski

Definitely look up pinlock visor inserts, will make a world of difference. Also, the index finger on most motorbike gloves act as a squeegee for wiping off rain/mist/drizzle.. other than that it is just one of the many joys of biking ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Get a vee wipe for your glove.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/27324

If you're commuting in all weather you really should have a pinlock visor, the best fix for fogging.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Get a vee wipe for your glove.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/27324

If you're commuting in all weather you really should have a pinlock visor, the best fix for fogging.
    Thanks. The vee wipe is cheaper than buying new gloves!

I checked out a pinlock visor but I would still have to keep the visor open a bit as my glasses fog up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks. The vee wipe is cheaper than buying new gloves!

I checked out a pinlock visor but I would still have to keep the visor open a bit as my glasses fog up as well.

If you throughly clean your glasses before you put the lid on it'll reduce the chance of then fogging up, the moisture is attracted to the dirt on the glass. Same for the visor, but pin lock means that you don't have to clean the visor as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

As a fellow glasses wearer I find that keeping my visor closed *all* the time is best. I close it before I go out, and keep it closed until I'm done. The glasses stay at room temperature andare less likely to fog up.

If I open my lid on while riding the wind gets in and starts to chill my glasses. Cold glass = fogged glasses. Which leads to leaving the lid open. Which leads to cold glass...

I may open it at the lights to help prevent fogging... but for me most of the time I keep it shut.

Cian_ok wrote: »
    As a fellow glasses wearer I find that keeping my visor closed *all* the time is best. I close it before I go out, and keep it closed until I'm done. The glasses stay at room temperature andare less likely to fog up.

If I open my lid on while riding the wind gets in and starts to chill my glasses. Cold glass = fogged glasses. Which leads to leaving the lid open. Which leads to cold glass...

I may open it at the lights to help prevent fogging... but for me most of the time I keep it shut.
    I have to keep mine under the seat in the bike. The first time wearing the helmet I walked into the house with it on and my parrot nearly had a heart attack! It scared the living daylights out of him. I must've looked like an alien lol. Even after I took it off he was shaking for ages and kept giving me funny looks all evening. I'm trying to get him used to it slowly but for now I can't wear it in the house. When I do though, what you say makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Make sure your visor is spotlessly clean - that on its' own will make a huge difference.
    Silver polish, if you have have it, will help to clean it even more and is also great for water beading.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A Respro Foggy mask will keep breath off your glasses. I use that and a Pinlock as well.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement