Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget phone rec <€125

Options
  • 22-12-2018 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

My old Huawei Y5 is dying on me... Toychscree

EDIT: Touchscreen is fecked and keeps clicking on things by itself, like the post button just now!!!

Looking for something robust with 2+ GB RAM, 16+ GB storage and ideally unlocked.

Seen Huawei P Smart but came across threads here about Xiaomi being good and cheap?

Any recs for my stingy budget?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Xiaomi mi A2 lite

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Escapees

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Xiaomi mi A2 lite

See edit to original post - you must be a mind reader!

If I'm not in a panic for it, is that euglobal crowd the cheapest/best place to buy?

Escapees wrote: »
    See edit to original post - you must be a mind reader!

If I'm not in a panic for it, is that euglobal crowd the cheapest/best place to buy?

yes - order it and expect normally in 10 days but with Christmas post and holidays probably a bit longer

excellent phone, especially from point of view of battery life and clean stock android with quick updates (will get an extra version update or android over other budget phones)

otherwise honor 9 lite in argos for 160 is a good option (or a bit cheaper from amazon) especially if you ever see yourself making nfc payments with phone or topping up a leap card as has nfc

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cuchullain99

Not allowed to post URLs so put 3 ws in front of eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-redmi-6-3gb-32gb-dual-sim-gold.html
    I have bought several items from eglobal without a hitch.. I doubt you would get as good a phone as this for the price anywhere else, unless you risk straight from China then it's taxes and return problems to contend with..

Not allowed to post URLs so put 3 ws in front of eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-redmi-6-3gb-32gb-dual-sim-gold.html
    I have bought several items from eglobal without a hitch.. I doubt you would get as good a phone as this for the price anywhere else, unless you risk straight from China then it's taxes and return problems to contend with..

Link worked thanks! Apart from screen size and other small differences, is it much of a muchness between Red Mi and Mi A2 lite?

Was going to hold out for A2 Lite to drop in price otherwise...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I have a Vodafone N8 which is in your price range and I think has the spec you're looking for.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I have a Vodafone N8 which is in your price range and I think has the spec you're looking for.

I think this might not be the same RAM wise - looking for 3 to 4GB. Even if 2GB or less is enough to get by with for now, it prob won't be in a years time the way things seem to be going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Escapees wrote: »
    Link worked thanks! Apart from screen size and other small differences, is it much of a muchness between Red Mi and Mi A2 lite?

Was going to hold out for A2 Lite to drop in price otherwise...

Software is the main difference. Personally I wouldn't touch any of those Redmi phones over the Mi A2 Lite because of that.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Software is the main difference. Personally I wouldn't touch any of those Redmi phones over the Mi A2 Lite because of that.

yes once you go to stock android you don't want to go back.

don't hugely mind some vendor skins but Xiaomi would not be my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A few people I know have the Cubot Note Plus, and are happy with them, cost about€ 115 on Amazon

• Advertisement

A few people I know have the Cubot Note Plus, and are happy with them, cost about€ 115 on Amazon

doesn't seem like one to go for.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CUBOT-Unlocked-Smartphone-Notification-Fingerprint-Blue/dp/B076DDV6L8

spend a little more for something actually decent.

cpu in that phone is a fair bit less than 50% the horsepower of the mi a2 lite cpu which itself is the minimum for smooth operation in late 2018.

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life, but...

The Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite doesn't seem to be dropping in price any time soon so I was going to just take the lazy and cheaper option of going for the Huawei P Smart...

And then I stumbled across some web pages that suggested the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite is also known as the RedMi 6 Pro... Is this true?

If so, then the RedMi Pro 6 seems generally cheaper, even though gsmarena indicates both phones have virtually the same specs???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Invincible

Invincible wrote: »

underpowered cpu-wise

ram and storage too low imo also for 2019.

wouldn't go for it.

mi a2 lite is the same as redmi 6 pro but the software on the mi a2 lite is much more preferable

also afaik the redmi 6 pro does not have band 20 for LTE if I'm correct meaning that it's not a good fit for Ireland as some networks use it for rural LTE / 4G

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i got a Sony experia L2 phone in eir shop, its now 100 euro ,reduced from 140 euro.
    i,m on eir prepay .
    It has a large screen .https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_l2-8987.php
    3gig ram, 5.4 inch screen.
    If i use it in stamina power saving mode the battery lasts about 2days 14 hours .
    power saving mode means i can make calls ,send a txt, watch video,s
    or listen to music .
    To use more advanced apps or web browser i can turn on standard
    mode in settings /battery.
    The only thing i don,t like about it is it has a facebook app that can,t be uninstalled It can be disabled ,in apps,settings.
    I got on thursday at 1pm, the battery was at 54 per cent when i turned it on in the eir store .
    It switched itself off today at 3.30pm ,the battery was at 5 per cent in power saving mode .
    i buy a phone every 2 years ,in my experience sony has the best phones in terms of long lasting battery , eg You can use it for 2days ,charge it on day 3 ,
    if you use it mostly in stamina power saving mode .
    Right now its my first time charging it, its at battery charging 46 per cent ,
    if i turn it on, it says 3 day 10 hours estimated usage time on the screen ,
    In ultra stamina power saving mode .
    It has a battery protection save mode i have it turned on,
    this protects the battery if the battery is left on too long in charging mode.
    I think it protects against over charging the battery.
    it has a pdf reader ,video player, music player preinstalled .
    i went to settings apps, and disabled all the apps i will never use to save the battery.
    i bought a leather case for it, cost 10 euro,
    next week i,ll go back and buy a screen protector for it .
    it has a finger print reader ,i disabled it, but it may be useful to those who want to use certain apps for extra security.
    The only negative i can see on this phone is it comes with certain apps from google and facebook which i had to disable as i,ll never use them.
    But its very hard to find a phone under 200 euro with these specs that doe not come with 5 or 6 preinstalled apps .
    i just used it for music,radio, watching videos, so i dont know if the 3gig ram makes much difference,
    i have not tried installing any games on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I had battery care mode on ,i charged the phone to 70 per cent ,
    it says in stamina power saving mode , i have 3 days 14 hours left on the battery .
    I do,nt think theres any phone with that specs that will last more than
    2 days on one charge .
    Next time i,ll charge it to 85 per cent .
    I was in a hurry to go out so i stopped the charger at 70 per cent.

Advertisement