Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help - advice needed

Options
  • 22-12-2018 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have a problem relating to my driving . I have had my learners permit since 2013 due to not needing the full license up until two years ago and this is where my problems start. I do not drive and I didn't when i lived in the city but since moving to the laois and starting a new job i have discovered how hard and expensive it is.
    I do not have a suitable sponsor for driving so i do not drive , I try to take lifts and taxis where needs be but its becoming unaffordable.
    I have a small car but with my insurance being 3500 per year I haven't been able to get the insurance as a lot of financial obligations have been in the way but i have now become desperate in my situation. Note - I do not drive the car due to lack of insurance so its just sitting there and the battery has gone down due to lack of driving.
    I have no driving instructor as no one can come to where i live so i must pay 20 euro for a taxi to get a driving lesson which costs 35 euro so im spending 55 euro just to do one lesson and being on minimum wage with low hours the maths is quickly adding up.

I am hoping to save up by the middle of January to be able to start to pay my insurance and maybe take my chances on the road myself with my learners permit because I seem to have no other choices.

Does anyone have any advice of what I can do because I really dont want to be on the road by myself but I have no other ideas , if there is a intensive course or residential learning that would provide me with the skills to pass my test ASAP please pm me as i cannot keep living like this.

I need to be able to drive to further my job opportunities and hopefully have some savings but at the moment I cannot see a light at the end of this dreaded tunnel.
    thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

And new law introduced just today that the car will be confiscated when you are caught driving unaccompanied on a learners permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

There are intensive driver's courses - there is one in Maynooth and as far as I know they pick you up from the train/bus station and you can do all your required lessons and the test.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's not clear to me what you are looking for. No one is going to support your decision to drive unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I think that the money you save up to cover your insurance should be used to cover lessons instead, when you have them done do the test in the instructors car also and then worry about insurance and such down the line.

I would not recommend driving unaccompanied as the Gardai will be cracking down on it now that a fresh law has been passed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Do 2 or 3 hour lessons each time, you'll learn/retain more and it will cut the cost of taxi per lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

zinny wrote: »
    .. I have had my learners permit since 2013 due to not needing the full license up until two years ago .....
    I'm confused? :confused:

1. Why would you not need a driving licence if you needed a learner permit?

2. A learner permit is only valid for 2 years so if you have one issued in 2013 then it isn't valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LazerShark

Just get the test as quickly as possible. You can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I'm confused? :confused:

1. Why would you not need a driving licence if you needed a learner permit?

2. A learner permit is only valid for 2 years so if you have one issued in 2013 then it isn't valid.

I take it they are on their third learners permit.

I know plenty that book the test show the proof to the NDLS and get another 1 year permit and then cancel the test and get their money back. They do this over and over again. It's wrong and they did try to clamp down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The going rate for a lesson was €50-60 when I was learning so you're not doing too badly on price. If I were you I'd focus on getting lessons and trying to pass the test ASAP, you'll save money in the long or even medium run as insurance will come down once you've a full licence.

Advertisement