Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to decide on options

Options
  • 21-12-2018 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

Backstory - new house in an existing estate in Cork. Ducting and cabling all in place for FTTC, but eir have a policy that new houses can only have FTTH, and won't connect me (or allow anyone else to connect me) until it's FTTH. The forecast date gets pushed out by 3-4 months every time the date approaches.

Currently working from a 4g mini router, which is limited to 9 devices (which is causing some issues, and is often only getting 3g).

I'd decided to buy something like the Huawei B525 (allowing for more devices, and hopefully better signal with added antenna). However, I then learned that Siro "might" be coming here in January, so I decided to hold off a while. Then I read that Three are talking about rolling out 5g routers in Q1 2019.

So, what would you do?
    Option 1: Spend €100-€150 on a 4g router early January
    Option 2: Hold off and see if/when Siro might come
    Option 3: Hold off even longer and see if 5g might come
    Option 4: Something else...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would wait for the first FTTH connection to become available.

In the meantime, you might well be able to stick a router between some of the devices and the mini router so that it sees less devices.
    Those not overly concerned with double-natting should be ok.

Advertisement