Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing firearm without serial number

Options
  • 20-12-2018 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have a few guns that I left with a friend in Canada before I moved to Ireland. I've recently started looking into what it will take to get them over here. None of them are worth much, but are rare and unique (especially over here). They also belonged to my late father, so have loads of sentimental value.

One is a Mossberg 385KB, a 20 gauge bolt action shotgun.

The second is a Cooey Model 60 .22 rimfire. This one I think I'm going to have a problem with. Asking my friend today to forward some information on them, he said he can't find a serial number. I did some searching online, and it seems that many of these older guns were never produced with serial numbers.

I imagine this is going to be a problem when it comes time to license and apply for import. Has anyone come across this before? Did they get it sorted out, and how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Put a serial number on it. Nowhere does it say that it has to be a number put on it by the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I concur...Got two of them that were "home serialised " here in Ireland sometime in their histories.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Croohur

Maybe use your Dad's date of birth or some significant set of numbers to you or him if you have to do it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

Good stuff, will see if I can get that sorted over the next few weeks. Birthday as the SN would be a really nice touch.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

I'm curious, is it difficult to import/export from Canada to Here in Ireland?
    Have you information on this process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

dc99 wrote: »
    I'm curious, is it difficult to import/export from Canada to Here in Ireland?
    Have you information on this process?

I'm still working on putting everything together. From what I understand so far:

1. Obtain a firearms license.
    https://www.garda.ie/en/About-Us/Online-Services/Firearms-Licensing/FCA1-Firearm-Certificate-Application-Version-April-2015.pdf

2. Apply for permission to import the firearm to Ireland.
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/eu_individuals_importing

3. Apply for permission to export the firearm from Canada.
    https://www.international.gc.ca/controls-controles/firearms_armes_a_feu/permit-licence.aspx?lang=eng#d

4. Book the firearm as luggage on a flight. From what I've read so far, most airlines will allow you to bring a firearm on the flight as a checked bag that counts toward your total luggage. It has to be in a locked hard case. I imagine it has to be at least partially disassembled, and I think any ammunition (which I wouldn't bother with) needs to be transported in a separate locked container. Of course they charge an extra fee on top of what you'd already have to pay for the extra luggage. I imagine you'd want to call ahead to book it on the flight, and make sure you have all the paperwork with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Cheers, great info :-)

Advertisement