Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LIDL's €8.99 Turkey ..

• 19-12-2018 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭

LIDL Turkey out tomorrow 20th December

Few questions:

If you buy it on the 20th you cannot surely keep it in fridge for 5 days safely can you? - bord bia says 1-2 days in fridge fresh turkey should be stored for before cooking .

If want to buy nearer to the day (say 23rd) whats the chance of getting one from LIDL ... especially one at €8.99 . They be sold out wont they?

What realistically size would an €8.99 one be like anyway? - not a very big one no when most other places are selling fresh turkey's from 15eur upwards

Any tried and tested tips for cooking fresh Turkey on Christmas Day for it to be moist and not dry?

Only asking because I haven't had Turkey for years but this year I really fancy it.

have been trying to check with LIDL on facebook and Twitter about how long they reckon you can keep it in fridge for, but they are not answering.

EDIT - Just as I typed this , LIDL replied back and said all their Turkeys from tomorrows date have a use bay date of 27th December.... still worth taking a chance?, dont very much feel like getting food poisoning this christmas to be honest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

LIDL Turkey out tomorrow 20th December

Few questions:

If you buy it on the 20th you cannot surely keep it in fridge for 5 days safely can you? - bord bia says 1-2 days in fridge fresh turkey should be stored for before cooking .

If want to buy nearer to the day (say 23rd) whats the chance of getting one from LIDL ... especially one at €8.99 . They be sold out wont they?

What realistically size would an €8.99 one be like anyway? - not a very big one no when most other places are selling fresh turkey's from 15eur upwards

Any tried and tested tips for cooking fresh Turkey on Christmas Day for it to be moist and not dry?

Only asking because I haven't had Turkey for years but this year I really fancy it.

have been trying to check with LIDL on facebook and Twitter about how long they reckon you can keep it in fridge for, but they are not answering.

EDIT - Just as I typed this , LIDL replied back and said all their Turkeys from tomorrows date have a use bay date of 27th December.... still worth taking a chance?, dont very much feel like getting food poisoning this christmas to be honest

To be honest, I wouldn’t trust cooking a Turkey on the 25th with BBD of the 27th ..it probably would be fine but it would be just my luck to get a bad one.
    €8.99 turkey might feed 4 or 5 people if your having ham as well. It probably will be on the small side. If I was getting a turkey tomorrow I would freeze it and then defrost it on the 24th.
    As for cooking it I use the turkey bags for the first bit of cooking and then remove and baste for the last 40 minutes or so.
    A meat termonator is what I use one that can stay in the turkey while cooking. That you will get a perfectly cooked turkey.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I got the Lidl frozen turkey and as far as I know it's the same size as the €8.99 non frozen one. We just did one for a Sunday dinner a couple of weeks ago. It would feed 4 providing you had ham. Wouldn't be getting too many cold cuts off it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Toots wrote: »
    I got the Lidl frozen turkey and as far as I know it's the same size as the €8.99 non frozen one. We just did one for a Sunday dinner a couple of weeks ago. It would feed 4 providing you had ham. Wouldn't be getting too many cold cuts off it anyway.

Isn't that a major plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You dont even need a ham to go with it. The Lidl flavoured sausages such as cumberland would make a virtual pork and stuffing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

i like cold turkey sandwiches - well to a point :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I love my turkey sambo , nearly more than my Christmas dinner, Definitely not an option for me to have no turkey left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have a dunne's E10/4 kg turkey in the freezer.. IF the weather allows ocean travel tomorrow will get a LIDL fresh .... five cats fed raw and me fed cooked.. I use the breasts only for me.. a kind of sandwich with stuffing, cranberry, chestnuts if i get them, in foil and roasted.

Love the price wars!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There is one reason that turkey tends to be dry - overcooking.

There are a million tips for keeping turkey moist but the only way of ensuring that it is not dry is to not overcook it.

There is one reason that turkey tends to be dry - overcooking.

There are a million tips for keeping turkey moist but the only way of ensuring that it is not dry is to not overcook it.

we used to cook it half way upside down in the tray then turn it. Prevented the dryness etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Graces7 wrote: »
    we used to cook it half way upside down in the tray then turn it. Prevented the dryness etc.

Overcook it upside down and it will be dry.

While many of these tips do help somewhat (I used to turn the turkey like that, too), nothing will stop an overcooked turkey from being dry.

• Advertisement

Overcook it upside down and it will be dry.

While many of these tips do help somewhat (I used to turn the turkey like that, too), nothing will stop an overcooked turkey from being dry.

Not the intention :rolleyes:

It is all in the timing and the vigilance and experience helps too..

Advertisement