Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Echo Dot 3rd Gen - £29.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭Invincible

Not in stock until January 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Got an early Christmas present of this. Sound quality is quite good and so far haven't had any major arguments with Alexa. ( Apart from the one time I called her Siri :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Good for the price, sound is way better than previous dots. 65e in Argos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Good for the price, sound is way better than previous dots. 65e in Argos!!

I got this along with a smart plug for £35 on Amazon black Friday deals. Didn't realise it was such a good deal at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭rosieirl

Argos.ie have price matched them!! You’ll have to click on the €65 one and then €36.99 pops up as the price on the next screen. Of course limited stock across the network etc so reserve one ASAP. I am replacing one I got on Black Friday because Alexa I’ve missed you. I don’t actually care that you’re always listening because you’re the Android I never had when you answer me back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

What's the difference between the 49 euro and the 35 euro echos in Argos?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Coolaboy wrote: »
    What's the difference between the 49 euro and the 35 euro echos in Argos?

1st gen Vs 2nd gen. 2nd gen has a superior sound if speaker is your main function

Thanks Dave. The Amazon echo is a 3rd generation one.

Amazon Dot or the Google one for basic info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

reserved in argos. nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Amazon Dot or the Google one for basic info?

Got examples of what sort of info you are looking for?

For Ist and 2nd year Secondary school students asking questions for science, translator English words to German etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Can anyone remember how much the 3rd generation dot was in Argos for Black Friday? How does this price compare to then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Moyglish wrote: »
    Can anyone remember how much the 3rd generation dot was in Argos for Black Friday? How does this price compare to then?

It was €30.99

For Ist and 2nd year Secondary school students asking questions for science, translator English words to German etc.

Hmm not sure... certainly Google might have a broader range of responses, but doesn't quite have the "personality" of Alexa.

For example, I bought an Echo for my folks, but a Google Home for my niece.

Yes I read up on both and Google would seem to have more if a knowledge base..

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

Thanks Dave. The Amazon echo is a 3rd generation one.

Sorry yes, same answer applies; latest if you want something half decent at playing music 2nd gen if just to ask stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Which is better, Google home mini or echo dot?

Speaker in the latest dot is better than Google's (Google's is better than older dot though), I purchased for herself and music was the main driver and pricing was similar. Curry's had 2nd gen dot for 30 during black Friday, paid 35 for the 3rd gen. Google were 30 also. I'd imagine all (current dot, older dot & Google) will be reduced again in sales though, think Curry's start their sale in chrimbo eve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

I had already reserved a dot in argos at the price of €65..I presume I'll now get it for the lower price?!

As with the other poster I responded to it depends on what you want it for.

I use Alexa for:
    - Controlling house lights / heating
    - Controlling TV
    - Playing Spotify
    - Asking for news headlines
    - Playing radio
    - Getting latest scores on matches
    - Occasional general queries (this is where Google Home may excel)
    - Sporadic general chat like "how are you" and "sing Happy Birthday", etc etc

I find using the Google Home a "cold" interaction, whereas with Alexa I genuinely feel like my smart home is a living entity. It's uncanny. :)

Also when you ask Alexa "what are the latest headlines" she gives a nice brief synopsis whereas Google Home goes on and on and on for several minutes.

Google Home feels like a robot, Alexa feels like you have another family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

audi02 wrote: »
    I had already reserved a dot in argos at the price of €65..I presume I'll now get it for the lower price?!

Mine was reserved at the lower price

damien wrote: »
    Mine was reserved at the lower price

I reserved it a few days ago but not available for collection until sat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

reserved in my local and they just txt to say will be available for collection on the 27th

Mine wasn't ready for collection until Saturday. Ran in today and asked is there any chance it could be in already and it was

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

mrcheez wrote: »
    As with the other poster I responded to it depends on what you want it for.

I use Alexa for:
    - Controlling house lights / heating
    - Controlling TV
    - Playing Spotify
    - Asking for news headlines
    - Playing radio
    - Getting latest scores on matches
    - Occasional general queries (this is where Google Home may excel)
    - Sporadic general chat like "how are you" and "sing Happy Birthday", etc etc

I find using the Google Home a "cold" interaction, whereas with Alexa I genuinely feel like my smart home is a living entity. It's uncanny. :)

Also when you ask Alexa "what are the latest headlines" she gives a nice brief synopsis whereas Google Home goes on and on and on for several minutes.

Google Home feels like a robot, Alexa feels like you have another family member.

When you get news headlines is it the BBC or can it get the Irish headlines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

meathman0 wrote: »
    When you get news headlines is it the BBC or can it get the Irish headlines?

Both
    And Sky, CNN whatever other news skills Alexa supports

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=10068517031

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dalexa-skills&field-keywords=rte

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Absolutely ragin at this deal. I bought this in Argos Newry on Wed morning for £49. Wonder if I contact customer service will they refund me the difference.

Advertisement