Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Horses

Options
  • 19-12-2018 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭

My first bet will be Thistlecrack in the King George VI Chase, currently 6-1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

cant wait till the cards are out so i can go through the form on xmas day after the dinner

its extra special picking out your losers the day before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Cannot wait for the Christmas racing. Avoiding the handicaps, will stick to graded races for betting. Will have the notebook handy for Notes for spring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Also on thistlecrack at 13/2

Waiting Patiently will be interesting fresh

Cant have Might Bite. Best horse in the race but totally unreliable

Native River a big price, Bristol too
    Great race for punters

Hoping to see Footpad back to form, will WPM let Min go against him? Will Ruby get the ride on FP or will DJ have a say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Call me Lord, currently 11/4, declared for the Long walk and Momella not running. All the usual suspects and Call Me Lord has the form and ability to make them look average.

If he lines up he wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Cant have Might Bite. Best horse in the race but totally unreliable

WAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Might Bite improves massively for his first run of the season but he was awful the last day - I think these Scorpions tend to do too much thinking about things, especially after a few hard races which he has now had. Would love to see Waiting Patiently win and he might well do

Call Me Lord is a doubtful stayer, his last run of the season skews his form a bit too, he'll know all about trying to get past Harry who is my idea of the winner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Native river and might bite are the two to beat, I don’t think Bristol or politologue will place as I think they are more grade 2 animals, waiting patiently completes my top 3 with thistlecrack a potential player.
    Bristol beat the others last time with everything in his favour, I doubt Richard Johnson and native river will let him have the lead as easy this time and will likely take each other on with Bristol gradually fading in the straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

This bet will keep me warm and cosy to Stephens Day :D

I think this is a race for the up and comers like Waiting Patiently and Politologue. I heard Nicky Henderson giving out about the fences at Haydock - a BS excuse for Might Bite, thats enough for me. Native River is a slogger, I think a flat 3miles is on the short side for him. Thistlecrack is gone at the game - ditto Coneygree. Bristol de Mai would be odds on if the race was at Haydock, I can't trust him anywhere else. So I think Ill go reverse f/c on Waiting Patiently/Politologue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Native River at the prices for me. Obviously the track wouldn’t play to his strengths but he will run his race and I can’t see him out of the frame. Thistlecrack is a terrible price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Andalucia wrote: »
    Call Me Lord is a doubtful stayer, his last run of the season skews his form a bit too, he'll know all about trying to get past Harry who is my idea of the winner

You're clutching here. That last run of his season was his first time running a staying race. So I don't get how it skews his form and he's a doubtful stayer? He traunced wholestone and Lil Rockefeller and would've won by more if it was 3 furlongs farther. Just from watching the race, that is obvious.

Harry looked like a grade 3 horse at best in this race last year. It may end up being a case of Sam Spinner loving this track and he comes back to form here. His run last year in this was very good. He'd be my worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I have two backed in the Welsh National and still not convinced I have the winner. Mess this year. Folsom Blue always wanted this race but he's older now and coming off the pace doesn't work in this race... Unless you're Paul Carberry. I was on Teaforthree that year....

Also backed Baie Des Isles, looks to have a good shot but it's plenty competitive. A wild outsider I like the look of is Dawson City. If it came up proper Welsh National ground I'd take a cut of him at 33/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nulty wrote: »
    I have two backed in the Welsh National and still not convinced I have the winner. Mess this year. Folsom Blue always wanted this race but he's older now and coming off the pace doesn't work in this race... Unless you're Paul Carberry. I was on Teaforthree that year....

Also backed Baie Des Isles, looks to have a good shot but it's plenty competitive. A wild outsider I like the look of is Dawson City. If it came up proper Welsh National ground I'd take a cut of him at 33/1.
    Clerks recently declared the ground as good to soft, and long range forecasts don't predict much in the way of rain. If the ground isn't the bog that it ended up like last year (highly unlikely) I think Pobbles Bay has a decent chance at close to bottom weight. Proven over C+D and going, I think there is a serious chance here that punters are under pricing the heavy going horses, and ignoring the ones that'll run on better ground like my pick. More than happy to take 25/1 on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Clerks recently declared the ground as good to soft, and long range forecasts don't predict much in the way of rain. If the ground isn't the bog that it ended up like last year (highly unlikely) I think Pobbles Bay has a decent chance at close to bottom weight. Proven over C+D and going, I think there is a serious chance here that punters are under pricing the heavy going horses, and ignoring the ones that'll run on better ground like my pick. More than happy to take 25/1 on this one.

At least it's sure to be run!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I backed two at Sedgefield for the 26th,the bog kicks in so if either starts longer i will get it.

STRIKE WEST runs in the 11.55 and pp is 15/2 about him,well beaten into 3rd last time on first run back,when tenderly handled can win with a very good 10 lb claimer on board.

The same jockey (Billy Garritty) can win the 2.05 on JUST BOBBY who will be well suited to a drop back in trip and is way too long at 9s imo,won over the c and d and is a very good ew bet.

M Hammond trains both and has good chances with two more at short prices with the same jockey on board,Schiehallion Munroe 12.25 and Roxyfet 12.25.However it is the 2 at the bigger prices that interest me at the moment.

I believe Billy Garritty will win a lot of races this year,i backed one of his on sat and it won nicely having been heavily backed.He has ridden 3 winners to date over jumps and one on the flat.He has impressed me and i will pay attention to his rides this year.

I backed two at Sedgefield for the 26th,the bog kicks in so if either starts longer i will get it.

STRIKE WEST runs in the 11.55 and pp is 15/2 about him,well beaten into 3rd last time on first run back,when tenderly handled can win with a very good 10 lb claimer on board.

The same jockey (Billy Garritty) can win the 2.05 on JUST BOBBY who will be well suited to a drop back in trip and is way too long at 9s imo,won over the c and d and is a very good ew bet.

M Hammond trains both and has good chances with two more at short prices with the same jockey on board,Schiehallion Munroe 12.25 and Roxyfet 12.25.However it is the 2 at the bigger prices that interest me at the moment.

I believe Billy Garritty will win a lot of races this year,i backed one of his on sat and it won nicely having been heavily backed.He has ridden 3 winners to date over jumps and one on the flat.He has impressed me and i will pay attention to his rides this year.

Did not go well,My first bet was hampered badly 3 out and had no chance after,my main fancy JUST BOBBY (was on at 9s) well backed fell at the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Did not go well,My first bet was hampered badly 3 out and had no chance after,my main fancy JUST BOBBY (was on at 9s) well backed fell at the first.

Really bad picking man.

Really bad picking man.

Well thats how you see it,but here is exactly what happened and anyone who is experienced in backing horses would know that these things happen all the time in racing.

I suggested two horses were good value to be backed ew at 15/2 and 9/1.

The first one was badly hampered when close up 3 out having started at 6/1.

The second one fell at the first hurdle having been well backed at 4/1 in a handicap hurdle.

You do not make reference at all to the fact that both horses started at much lower prices than when i posted a couple of days ago.

When watching the race i noticed the runners were waved round the first hurdle on the second circuit and i would be more concerned that horse and jockey are ok rather than worry about your ill-informed remarks.

Advertisement