Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Sim Tray Blanked out Samsung

Options
  • 19-12-2018 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Got a phone for the girlfriend recently a Samsung Galxy j6 from eir and I was aware it is a dual sim device. However when I took the tray out (the one with the memory card and for second sim) the sim card part appears to be blanked out and a sim cant fit into it. Has the network done this? Is the only solution to buy a new tray for it once I get the phone unlocked or is there some way to cut out this extra plastic?

Comments

paruss100 wrote: »
    Got a phone for the girlfriend recently a Samsung Galxy j6 from eir and I was aware it is a dual sim device. However when I took the tray out (the one with the memory card and for second sim) the sim card part appears to be blanked out and a sim cant fit into it. Has the network done this? Is the only solution to buy a new tray for it once I get the phone unlocked or is there some way to cut out this extra plastic?

I don't think any carriers sell dual SIM devices. Why would they make it easy for you to use another carrier's SIM in the device they sell to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭corkie

Basil3 wrote: »
    I don't think any carriers sell dual SIM devices. Why would they make it easy for you to use another carrier's SIM in the device they sell to you?

Wrong!

Three are now selling not network locked dual sim xiaomi devices!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Its rare for them to sell dual sim phones - unless it was specified when you bought it? Did you see the spec elsewhere or on the Eir website/instore info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Small minded. Some people have a business and personal sim.

corkie wrote: »
    Wrong!

Three are now selling not network locked dual sim xiaomi devices!

Thanks for pointing out the exception to the rule. Hopefully that is the way things go in the future, but I highly doubt it's the case for the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

If you check your app list and find two examples of an app called 'SIM ToolKit' your phone should be able to handle two SIMs. However the ROM they've loaded might block that feature and they may also employ a hardware block... in your case an altered SIM tray.

Feckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd say three early stock is unlocked. Eventually they will close that loophole.

I got a dual sim Samsung from CW many years ago. Other then that I don't remember any of them doing here till the current three xiaomi devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, this is probably an option that the network have and Samsung will ship it like this.

Rather than trying to cut out the blank and making a balls of it, you can get a replacement one for nothing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MMOBIEL-Samsung-Galaxy-J600-Replacement/dp/B07GJHCS27/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1545237445&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=replacement+sim+card+tray+J6&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Ah right thought it was just a hardware thing and once unlocked I would have imagined a second sim would just work. Well in fairness the phone itself was about €80 cheaper than it would have been sim free which I imagine would take two sims. The spec on the Eir site doesnt mention the two sims but if you see the spec here the device itself is capable of two sims: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_j6-9203.php. Just wonder if its just a case of getting it unlocked and buying a new sim tray for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you sure you didnt get a plus?

J600F vs J610F(Plus)

• Advertisement
Advertisement