Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranging scope?

Options
  • 19-12-2018 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

This isn't for shooting but I was thinking of getting myself a late Christmas present of some form of range finder/binocular/monocular for when out walking and thought you guys would be the ones that knew about this stuff.

One thought was a telescopic sight with reticles, mill dot or some such.

Anyway found this monocular that seems to fit the bill on Amazon and wondered what peoples thoughts were.

What I am looking for is something small that can be used for occasional wild life watching along with range guessing finding. It would be nice to say I saw X and with a fare degree of accuracy say it was Y meters/yards away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

It sounds as thought you are looking for a passive optical rangefinding device that relies on YOU interpreting a scale, rather than an active LASER rangefinding monocular that presents you with an actual range reading - is that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

tac foley wrote: »
    It sounds as thought you are looking for a passive optical rangefinding device that relies on YOU interpreting a scale, rather than an active LASER rangefinding monocular that presents you with an actual range reading - is that correct?

Correct, I'm quite happy with the idea of estimating range from something of gussed known size or height I just want something with a decent scale on it. Ideally I'd get a decent pair of old ex MOD arty spotting binoculars but all the ones I've looked at have been either too expensive or warn out.

Size and weight is also an issue as this would be an item I'd take everywhere with me, sometimes in a pocket others in a pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

'kay, in that case, I reckon that what you found will do the job just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its been on my wish list for a while its not an essential but it is Christmas after all :)

Advertisement