Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming in US. Advice needed please.

Options
  • 18-12-2018 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

I just wondered if anyone had any tips for reducing data use on phone. Going to US and only 1 g roaming. No calls/txts. Eir business sim only unlim. I will switch to airplane mode on arrival.and only use WiFi . I intend switching mobile data on and off when necesssry but just wondered if I should disable anything else to prevent huge data use when I turn it on. Not tech savvy. ? Notifications off etc. image/file/attachment loading off ?
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

xraylady wrote: »
    I will switch to airplane mode on arrival.and only use WiFi .

Airplane mode disables all communications - calls, texts, wi-fi and mobile data. What you need to do before you go is to disable roaming data, this covers mobile data when outside your home network. When you board the plane, set the phone to airplane mode, then switch it off, unless you want to read stuff that is stored for offline access like news or books.

If you left it until you arrived to set the phone to airplane mode, you could fall into this trap ...

Passengers travelling with Aer Lingus could face huge bills for not putting phones on flight mode

When you arrive, turn off airplane mode so you can receive calls and text messages but bear in mind that an incoming call will cost you as well as the caller so consider diverting all calls to voicemail before you leave, That way, anyone who calls you will get your voice greeting and they can leave a message following which you will get an SMS notification from Message Minder.
    xraylady wrote: »
    I intend switching mobile data on and off when necesssry but just wondered if I should disable anything else to prevent huge data use when I turn it on.

If you keep roaming data disabled, it won't matter as you will only be opening mail when connected to free Wi-Fi. But if you have friends who are given to sharing big movies and photos, consider setting a limit on attachment size in your e-mail as some wi-fi may not be friendly to large file downloads.

Advertisement