Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uniflu = Drunk at work

Options
  • 18-12-2018 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I have never taken a uniflu before. I had blocked sinuses this morning. Went to the pharmacist at lunch for lemsip she recommended uniflu. I am like a non function zombie now :-\ my brain is running at about 10%

what is this madness!!! I do NOT like it one bit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Cool story bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's nothing in Uniflu to give those contra indications. Paracetamol, caffeine, vitamin C, an anti histamine and a decongestant. It actually reduces drowsiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭heretothere

Cool story bro.

Thanks I worked really hard on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just go home before you get everyone else sick

There's nothing in Uniflu to give those contra indications. Paracetamol, caffeine, vitamin C, an anti histamine and a decongestant. It actually reduces drowsiness.

Don't know what to tell you so, took one, 40 minutes later boom nearly asleep at the desk.

Concentration is zero. I went back to the pharmcaist she took my blood pressure said I had an allergic reaction to something I don't have a clue how to spell and that it should wear off in about 5/6 hrs.

It's weird being so spaced out. Everything is fuzzy and sleepy.

Also cant't contaminate anyone else, I'm in the office alone. So I will just tap tap tappiedy tap away at worj v v slowly. I did tell my boss whats happening btw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

That lot can give me a high sometimes. Think its the decongestant Phenylephrine which is one of those drugs where they warn not to drive or use machinery if you are affected it may make you dizzy or lightheaded

The best thing for blocked sinus is either Otravine nose spray, or Actifed tablets. Or both. Will open you right up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Never had a reaction from uniflu, but Actifed tablets have laid me low on a few occasions, very effective though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,277 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Never had a reaction from uniflu, but Actifed tablets have laid me low on a few occasions, very effective though.

Both uniflu and actified contain the same decongestant but Actifed contains 3 times the dose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Both uniflu and actified contain the same decongestant but Actifed contains 3 times the dose.

Actified would be the one thats more likely to give me a high but the thing is my head has to be totally blocked up for it to do so. If I just have a runny nose it works but without the "acceptable" side effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Cool story bro.

Imagine still saying "cool story bro" at the end of 2018 as a response to someone.

That is well and truly "cool".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Time to change the batteries in your carbon monoxide alarm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Actifed practically knocks me out, Sudafed doesn't even unblock my nose.

Cina wrote: »
    Imagine still saying "cool story bro" at the end of 2018 as a response to someone.

That is well and truly "cool".

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I remember the first time I was taking Benylin Day & Night, I started in the middle of the day, so when I got to the end of the packet I had a morning & afternoon pill left over.

Still feeling a bit peaky, I took the morning pill at 10pm and went to bed.

Promptly woke up at 1am feeling like I'd just been given a shot of adrenaline and couldn't even think about trying to sleep again until about 5am.

So, Protip: The "Day" in Benylin Day & Night contains an amphetamine analog. Don't take it before bed. Unless you want to sleep for 3 hours and wake up suddenly and immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have never taken a uniflu before. I had blocked sinuses this morning. Went to the pharmacist at lunch for lemsip she recommended uniflu. I am like a non function zombie now :-\ my brain is running at about 10%

what is this madness!!! I do NOT like it one bit

The pharmacist should have told you, you need to take them with redbull, cocaine would do too if you have some.

I have regular sinus trouble - Otrivine is what you want, they have it behind the counter it's about 6 quid or so, that stuff is magic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Uniflu has me off my face as well if i take it. I don't know what it is about it.

If you have sinus issues you should just take the anti histamines though

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

bluewolf wrote: »
    Uniflu has me off my face as well if i take it. I don't know what it is about it.

If you have sinus issues you should just take the anti histamines though

It contains diphenhydramine, a drowsy antihistamine. Pharmacist should have asked of you were in work and recommended benylin day & night. That has the same antihistamine in the nighttime tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

From Unifle.ie :

Diphenhydramine hydrochloride: The antihistamine. Stops a runny nose by reducing the irritation of the nasal passages. Provides relief from sneezing.

[ From wikipedia: Common side effects include sleepiness, poor coordination, and an upset stomach. ]

Phenylephrine hydrochloride: The decongestant. Reduces inflammation and blockages of the nasal passages.

[ Wikippedia lists no similar side effects. ]

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I would put good money on the anti-histamine being the cuplrit. I don't usually get reactions to over the counter meds but all forms of anti-histamines have me drowsy for a good 10-20 hours after taking them, even the "non-drowsy" ones.

• Advertisement

Mink wrote: »
    I would put good money on the anti-histamine being the cuplrit. I don't usually get reactions to over the counter meds but all forms of anti-histamines have me drowsy for a good 10-20 hours after taking them, even the "non-drowsy" ones.

No antihistamine in marketed as non-drowsy. Everybody processes antihistamines differently giving different results. There are the 2 that are less likely to make you drowsy cetirizine. The least likely to make you drowsy is loratadine.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

seamus wrote: »
    I remember the first time I was taking Benylin Day & Night, I started in the middle of the day, so when I got to the end of the packet I had a morning & afternoon pill left over.

Still feeling a bit peaky, I took the morning pill at 10pm and went to bed.

Promptly woke up at 1am feeling like I'd just been given a shot of adrenaline and couldn't even think about trying to sleep again until about 5am.

So, Protip: The "Day" in Benylin Day & Night contains an amphetamine analog. Don't take it before bed. Unless you want to sleep for 3 hours and wake up suddenly and immediately.

& that's why you're supposed to read the leaflet. Pseudoephedrine is the magic ingredient culprit.

Pfft, reading leaflets is for losers. Just pop the pills and go!

seamus wrote: »
    Pfft, reading leaflets is for losers. Just pop the pills and go!

To be fair you'd take nothing if you read the leaflets! They all pretty much say '99.9% chance this will make you feel better or you might have horrible side effects and possibly die!'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

To be fair you'd take nothing if you read the leaflets! They all pretty much say '99.9% chance this will make you feel better or you might have horrible side effects and possibly die!'

I had to go to the doc a couple of weeks ago because my eyes were bloodshot and just wouldn't clear up, he told me it was an allergy and gave me eye drops, happy days.
    Home I trot and put them in and then sit down to read to leaflet - contact your doctor if you notice the following side effects - blindness, or a hole in your eyeball:eek::eek::eek: WTF!!

Fun thing about side effects is that in clinical trials, the participants have to report absolutely everything that happens while they're on the drug, regardless of how it happens. Fall over and break your wrist? Report it. Accidental pregnancy? Report it.

A cautious approach is then to report almost everything as a possible side-effect, unless it's absolutely certain that the drug didn't cause it.

This is why when you look at the side-effects for any drug, most of the symptoms that it's trying to treat are also listed as side-effects; because patients have reported these symptoms while on the drug. Of course, the drug didn't cause them, it just didn't work for that patient. But you can't know that for certain, so onto the leaflet they go.

In the case of holes in eyeballs, chances are those drops were given as a trial treatment but the doctors didn't realise the patient had a parasite or something. End result, they use the drops for two weeks and then discover holes in their eyeballs. "Possible side-effect".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I've chronic sinus problems. I've often wondered why they don't have a decongestant you can use at night, because that's when it gets a lot worse. Exputex works to a certain degree but it doesn't last long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Took Actifed once and it flattened me. The anti histamine Xyzal did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Get Neil Med sinus rinse

• Advertisement

I've chronic sinus problems. I've often wondered why they don't have a decongestant you can use at night, because that's when it gets a lot worse. Exputex works to a certain degree but it doesn't last long enough.

Pseudoephedrine binds to the fight or flight part of your nervous system, that's why they should be avoided at night. Topical decongestant nasal sprays should be fine.

Exputex will loosen phlegm & make you cough. Shouldn't be taken at night and I'm surprised you have any decongestant relief from taking it. Probably placebo.

Advertisement