Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei devices - Are they worth buying? Opinions please.

Options
  • 16-12-2018 10:03pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'd like to have your opinions on this.

I'm at the end of my contract so time for a new phone. I was seriously looking at the Huawei P20 Pro and then the Mate 20 Pro came out and also caught my attention as there are very few other phones on the market that are catching my attention.

However I'm having a bit of a hesitation with all the negative publicity surrounding Huawei and wondering if it's worth taking a risk with them seeing as a lot of large western countries are now dropping them from 5G and existing networks as well as dropping their handsets.

My fear is that networks will stop supporting them, upgrades will stop being made available and there will be issues with support.

Anyone having similar thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

both of those are very good phones.

the publicity is around the network side which is nothing to do with the phones.

the US just don't want the president or the secretary of defence communicating over a chinese network.

totally irrelevant to the phones imo.

as an aside much of the irish networks run on Huawei.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

As ive said ran into issues on my third phone, but back to using one from about 5 years ago and apart from odd slow down and battery on the way out, its keep going without being handled with kid gloves

I paid 250 or so 5 years ago, so you would want to try and pay 300 or so and check the many reviews out there

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

P20P is great (theres one in the house) but the Mate20 is probably better if you don't care about the speaker nonsense. EUI will get ironed out by March.

900 on a "no name" to some people :eek: , may as well go and get a iPhone

I always thought the idea of Huawei was to get something way more than you paid, like Xiaomi now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭lalababa

Still have a Huawei y5 , still going strong battery and all for like 7 years or something. YouTube and calls grand, if that's any use to you.

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    900 on a "no name" to some people :eek: , may as well go and get a iPhone

Ehmmm
    Huawei shipped more smartphones than Apple in the second quarter
    Huawei passes Apple to move into second place

ED E wrote: »
    Ehmmm

Yeah but put a Huawei and iPhone in front of Joe soap and you know the outcome

I'm all for Huawei, got one way back when was a no name but in the shops here.

To me it's a budget brand that gives you more, not one that gives you the same as the rest for the same price

To me it's a budget brand that gives you more, not one that gives you the same as the rest for the same price

Used to be.

I'd prefer Qualcomm radios but Kirin has come a long way. They're real flagships now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Been using a p10 for a year and a half (since it launched), still super fast, would definintely consider another Huawei when it's time to replace this one. The Mate 20 is a fantastic piece of kit, and I'd take it over any other current gen android phone in a heartbeat, the battery life is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

I have had a huawei p9 for almost 2 years now and the build quality is pretty impressive.

Does take a while to get used to their version of android as it is more like an I phone.

Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shamrock 64

Had a Huawei Honor note 10 had to sell it sadly,great phone but had a major problem with it not recieving notifications,I would either get them intermittently or not at all.Ihad my old phone running at the same time as the honor and the old one would receive everything and the honor either later, intermittently or none at all.Supposed to be to do with Huawei battery optimization where all apps are shut down when not in use so they don't pass on notifications.None of my text or emails were affected thought.
    Anyone else have this problem,it was a Chinese version too,thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jude13

I got the p20 pro two days ago and amazed by it. I previously had/have an iphone 8 and a Samsung A5 being work and personal. Using the p20 pro as both now. Youtube has lists of videos with great tricks and tips.

Glad to say goodbye to the iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I had the P8 for a year and it was one of the best phones I ever had.

Had a Huawei Honor note 10 had to sell it sadly,great phone but had a major problem with it not recieving notifications,I would either get them intermittently or not at all.Ihad my old phone running at the same time as the honor and the old one would receive everything and the honor either later, intermittently or none at all.Supposed to be to do with Huawei battery optimization where all apps are shut down when not in use so they don't pass on notifications.None of my text or emails were affected thought.
    Anyone else have this problem,it was a Chinese version too,thanks.

Under protected apps
    Or
    Ignore battery optimization and I think app management un tick app and click on three ticks to control bootup background and something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Does anyone have a P smart? Is it a good phone for battery life, camera etc

Under protected apps
    Or
    Ignore battery optimization and I think app management un tick app and click on three ticks to control bootup background and something else
    I put all apps concerned off automatic and on to manual optimization,gave them all permissions possible,did exactly as you said but still it didn't help,got some notifications but not all.

jk23 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a P smart? Is it a good phone for battery life, camera etc

Had one for 6 months

Was good phone when I paid 160, but you can get it as low as 100 so would make it a great phone

Camera was great, as Huawei usually is

Battery was great or OK, all depends on what your doing, see above re whats-app email etc notifications

Finger unlocker great think to have, as well as face unlock for bonus

Snappy phone, rarely lagged or took ages to do things

As I said for the price now its well worth it

I put all apps concerned off automatic and on to manual optimization,gave them all permissions possible,did exactly as you said but still it didn't help,got some notifications but not all.

Any set app or was it just random apps?

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/huawei-p-smart-pay-as-you-go-black

Order sim online from Eir and "move" that number when you order the phone as far as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

ED E wrote: »

P20P is great (theres one in the house) but the Mate20 is probably better if you don't care about the speaker nonsense. EUI will get ironed out by March.

What's the problem with the speaker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Got a Huawei Y6 2017 in November last year. I usually spend €100-150 for a phone and expect to replace them every year. This phone isn't even remotely near needing replacement after 13 months. The battery is still working great, quick charge and it hasn't slowed down to a noticeable effect. Best phone I have ever had.

Any set app or was it just random apps?
    I got all my text apps, Gmail was intermittent,apps like Google news and rte news now didn't send,nothing from Groupon,the shopping app,or Ali express,or gearbest,which normally send offer's daily.Facebook and Twitter were ok fot mob and bleacher report both football scores/news apps didn't come in either.It was very frustrating,6.95 in screen,5000 MH battery, great camera,but I had to sell it recently, really hurt to let it go but I couldn't live with it.

I got all my text apps, Gmail was intermittent,apps like Google news and rte news now didn't send,nothing from Groupon,the shopping app,or Ali express,or gearbest,which normally send offer's daily.Facebook and Twitter were ok fot mob and bleacher report both football scores/news apps didn't come in either.It was very frustrating,6.95 in screen,5000 MH battery, great camera,but I had to sell it recently, really hurt to let it go but I couldn't live with it.

Thats weird, I know I has issues with killing apps etc and done what I said, after that I would have tried too reinstall them to see

Shame that happened, but no good having a smart phone where you have to keep opening apps to check if stuff changes, did i get email etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Had one for 6 months

Was good phone when I paid 160, but you can get it as low as 100 so would make it a great phone

Camera was great, as Huawei usually is

Battery was great or OK, all depends on what your doing, see above re whats-app email etc notifications

Finger unlocker great think to have, as well as face unlock for bonus

Snappy phone, rarely lagged or took ages to do things

As I said for the price now its well worth it

Great, thanks for the review and replying

jk23 wrote: »
    Great, thanks for the review and replying

No worries, if you need anymore info just ask :cool:

Thats weird, I know I has issues with killing apps etc and done what I said, after that I would have tried too reinstall them to see

Shame that happened, but no good having a smart phone where you have to keep opening apps to check if stuff changes, did i get email etc

Gmail was intermittent, Yahoo mail was perfect,all text apps were perfect.It affected any app which would send . Thinking of getting the honor view 20 when it's released on January 22 , international version,can get it from honor UK with 14 days return policy.So that would cover me in case anything goes wrong.
    Thanks for your help.

kala85 wrote: »
    What's the problem with the speaker

Watch the video you quoted.

Advertisement