Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Single Origin" v. "Single plantation"

Options
  • 15-12-2018 2:30pm

On the Adams and Russell website they charge more for what they term 'single plantation' coffee than they do for 'single origin' coffee. The first result in a google of "single origin" "single plantation" coffee difference has this:

As the name term suggests, single origin coffee is the coffee that is derived and produced from a single plantation. Single origin coffee beans have the same properties in terms of taste, acidity and flavour.

On the other hand, when beans of different coffee plantations are mixed together and then processed, it results in a coffee blend.

Back to the Adams & Russell website where a quite different distinction is made:
    What is Single Plantation coffee?
    Single plantation, sometimes also referred to as “single estate”, is a coffee that has been sourced from one single plantation within a specific geographical area. Single plantation coffee allows the consumer to fully appreciate the flavour characteristics and cultivation process of a particular plantation.

Single Origin or Single Plantation? What’s the difference?
    While single origin coffee usually means it is sourced from a single country, such as Ethiopia, Colombia or Guatemala. An “origin” can be as vast as India, or as small as Uganda, and the cultivating process may vary depending on where in the country the coffee has been sourced from. Single plantation digs deeper, and offers an understanding of quality and flavour based on the specific estate it is grown on.

Which Single Plantation Coffee should I try?
    Choose any 3 bags (227g) of single plantation coffee for only £18

If you are after something fruity, we recommend the Ethiopian Bench Maji Wild Forest. It is an organic, medium roast coffee, offering a light and fruity cup.

The Ethiopian Guji Hambella is a nutty option. Palmyra grows in rich and volcanic soil, which contributes to the mild vanilla and subtle chocolate flavours.

Which of these is the widely accepted definition of each? It would be helpful to know what definition a company is using when selling their coffee beans. Also, does anybody notice a difference between both, as defined by Adams & Russell above, that would justify the price difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

As far as I know, most specialty coffee roasters choose coffee from a single farm. Some are co-operative sets of farms so that may include more than one plantation, but generally I've never thought to differentiate if the farm is mentioned on the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I would have thought that 'Single Origin' means the coffee is from a certain general geographical region.

Single plantation would be from just that, a single plantation. Whereas the Single Origin could be from several different plantations.

I'm only basing this on my knowledge of English as opposed to coffee.

But really, who actually knows what's in the bag in most cases. They could put Single plantation on it and the vast majority of people wouldn't tell the difference.

I would imagine Single Plantation could stick an extra 15% on the price though....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Get A&R blue Kenyan.

Advertisement