Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest alternative to Tesco Mobile - Call + Data ?

Options
  • 15-12-2018 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

I have a dual sim phone - now both sims are Tesco mobile. I am looking to change mobile service provider for one sim.

Which is the cheapest pay as you use mobile service provider? I dont want to topup every month. When the credit finishes I prefer to top at that point.

Any link to compare the per min mobile phone call charges and per mb mobile data charge?

In case the tesco network goes down (which happened several times this year) I would need to use the other provider. Also I would like to use this when I roam in other EU countries.

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭TestLink

Is VirginMedia on 3 network?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

TestLink wrote: »
    Is VirginMedia on 3 network?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Most of the issues with Tesco have been their own, not Threes. So using other MVNOs may still lead to greater uptime.

That said all the MVNOs are ****, Tesco included.

So my options are Eir, Vodafone and 3.

Which one would be best for my requirements?

Are you just doing this for the sake of it?

Depending on your usage pattern a VOIP second line might work, or dumping Tesco for Three on your main sim. I've a dual sim phone but only used two sims when regularly visiting the continent.

• Advertisement

I would be keeping tesco mobile as my main mobile phone provider. But when I roam in EU I would like to have a network with call/data/text that support roaming.

I dont want to topup this 2nd SIM every month. In case tesco mobile service goes down I would need to use the second one. Also for roaming purpose.

May i know what is my best alternative? Eir and 3 seems to have a lot of complaints when it comes to customer care etc (Googling! Correct me if I am wrong)?

So I think Vodafone is my only alternative. Vodafone rates below:

Irish mobiles and landlines 45c per minute, peak and 25c per minute, off peak*
    Texts 13c per text Voicemail Free
    Data €1.99 for 100MB daily allowance - 1c per MB after 100MB

Any suggestions?

ED E wrote: »
    Depending on your usage pattern
    TestLink wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

Nobody can advise you unless you indicate what you use.

Advertisement