Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with buying new smartphone

Options
  • 15-12-2018 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi, so I'm trying to get myself a new phone, and obviously if I can get one for a bit cheaper that'd be best, but at the same time I don't want to end up with an obsolete brick either. I might be asking too much but I found two phones which seem like they might be ok, I'm going to keep looking but in the meantime I have attached the two phones below. Basically I'm wondering if any is familiar/knows anything about these phones and knows which one might be the better option? and if they are any way decent in terms of ios and such? I appreciate any help and thanks in advance!:
    it's a huawei p smart and a honor 9 lite they can be found on amazon, I'm sorry I can't post the links because I'm new :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sheedy234

Hi, so I'm trying to get myself a new phone, and obviously if I can get one for a bit cheaper that'd be best, but at the same time I don't want to end up with an obsolete brick either. I might be asking too much but I found two phones which seem like they might be ok, I'm going to keep looking but in the meantime I have attached the two phones below. Basically I'm wondering if any is familiar/knows anything about these phones and knows which one might be the better option? and if they are any way decent in terms of ios and such? I appreciate any help and thanks in advance!:
    it's a huawei p smart and a honor 9 lite they can be found on amazon, I'm sorry I can't post the links because I'm new :(

Hi I have just bought xiamoni MiA2 lite from honor buy site, for 175 delivered. I have xiamoni redmi note 4 at the moment and they are brilliant phones with good specs.

https://www.honorbuy.com/1492-xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-official-global-version-4gb-ram-64gb-smartphone-black.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭droidman123

Almost every android phone mid price and upwards will be better than ios,in every way

• Registered Users Posts: 33 liamo77

The Honor 9 lite is 153.00 on littlewoods atm. It looks like a great phone. Going to order one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Xiaomi redmi note 5 on three network unlocked for 139.I'm not a gamer,but more a email and browser user and for the price I think its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Asus1 wrote: »
    Xiaomi redmi note 5 on three network unlocked for 139.I'm not a gamer,but more a email and browser user and for the price I think its great.

Do you have a link, I can I only see it for €199, it's 139 but you need to move to 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd buy that MiA2 and avoid anything with MIUI or an old version of EMUI on it.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Do you have a link, I can I only see it for €199, it's 139 but you need to move to 3.
    You need to move your number but I didn't. Go onto 48 and order a sim from them,then register the number with 48 when you receive it.Go on to three and use the 48 number as a number you want to move and that entitles you to a €50 discount.After order I got a couple of phones off 3 within two days.Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AndybDublin

Thanks for all the answers so far! I'm just wondering of the 2 I mentioned does anyone know which would be the better option?
    so the honor 9 is: Honor 9 Lite Dual SIM, 32 GB storage, 13 MP Dual Camera and 5.65 Inch Full View Display
    and the psmart: Huawei P Smart (Dual SIM) 32GB Android 8.0 UK version SIM-Free Smartphone
    I found them both on Amazon uk

Just got the P Smart for someone for Xmas. Only €99 if purchased through Vodafone. Seems decent value at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You're locked to Vodafone though aren't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just got the P Smart for someone for Xmas. Only €99 if purchased through Vodafone. Seems decent value at that price.

I had one for 6 months then screen and/or case started cracking, that was end of that phone and Huawei going forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

jeffk wrote: »
    I had one for 6 months then screen and/or case started cracking, that was end of that phone and Huawei going forward

In fairness you couldn't really judge a whole company's output on a 99 quid phone.

Patww79 wrote: »
    In fairness you couldn't really judge a whole company's output on a 99 quid phone.

210 down too 160 whenyou move to Vodafone wink wink

That was my third Huawei, back using a G7 and apart from old slow down, it's taking a few drops etc and kept going

That was 250 about 5 years ago, so I'd recommend paying dear ish and worse case you've a good backup up phone when outdated

I'm looking at Mi A2 myself, but thinking Pocofone F1, push the boat out and spend bit more rather than regret it after getting the A2

Huawei make some very good phones.

Budget phones before this year mostly were of a crap build. p smart is at the budget end of budget!

now you can get something decent for €150

false economy spending less than that. Xiaomi and Huawei have good phones at that price point (mostly online purchase needed).

glasso wrote: »
    Huawei make some very good phones.

Budget phones before this year mostly were of a crap build. p smart is at the budget end of budget!

now you can get something decent for €150

false economy spending less than that. Xiaomi and Huawei have good phones at that price point (mostly online purchase needed).

As I said the p smart was 210 but down too 100 or so now, so impossible too say its x value as they drop so quick

The P20 lite was 100 more and seemed just to be type c abs chargers quicker compared to p smart

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AndybDublin

Hey, so I'm just looking around at other phones as well as looking here and I feel like I might go for the honor 9 lite? I know it's not great for games but apart from that it seems fairly good for the price...
    I was also looking at the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite, but it seems a little crap... Does anyone have the honor 9 lite? or know how it actually stands up to downloading games or handling apps? I can sacrifice most games on the play store if I have to, but I'd still like to be able to be play some and want to make sure I could still get apps, like netflix etc

Hey, so I'm just looking around at other phones as well as looking here and I feel like I might go for the honor 9 lite? I know it's not great for games but apart from that it seems fairly good for the price...
    I was also looking at the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite, but it seems a little crap... Does anyone have the honor 9 lite? or know how it actually stands up to downloading games or handling apps? I can sacrifice most games on the play store if I have to, but I'd still like to be able to be play some and want to make sure I could still get apps, like netflix etc

the kirin 659 in the honor 9 lite is less powerful graphically that the adreno gpu in the snapdragon 625 in the a2 lite.

the a2 lite does run games even pubg fine but not at the highest settings.

get a mi A2 with the snapdragon 660 for a more powerful cpu for games, at the expense of battery life.

maybe Samsung j6 plus would suit you,available in most mobile providers at €189 but when you register it with Samsung they give you €45 cash back into your bank.Unlock codes in eBay can be gotten for €11,I held one in a eir shop,it felt nice and I think it was a metal case or maybe just edges were metal,overall it felt nice in the hand even if a little big

Advertisement