Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinder question

Options
  • 14-12-2018 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't been in here in a while!

So, our Kitchen Aid coffee grinder blew up last night after around 11 years of use.
    We need a new grinder and I have no idea about what's out there now.
    It will be used exclusively for espresso on a Gaggia classic.

What I didn't like with the Kitchen Aid is that the adjustment steps were far too coarse. I'd kinda like to be able to grind directly into the portafilter, if possible.

So, what would you good folks recommend and from where would you purchase?? Budget is around the €200 mark.

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

€289. Rancilio Rocky, Home Coffee machines. Tank ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Planet X wrote: »
    €289. Rancilio Rocky, Home Coffee machines. Tank ;)

After putting up my thread, that's where I looked and was leaning towards the rocky! Might need to amend the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Hmmmm ,at a glance I thought this was a Grindr question, and then I realised it was a grinder question.

Oh well. Could use a bit of caffeine now actually

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

This sage seems to have good reviews and it is below 200 euro

https://www.sageappliances.com/uk/en/products/coffee/bcg820.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

cargen wrote: »
    This sage seems to have good reviews and it is below 200 euro

https://www.sageappliances.com/uk/en/products/coffee/bcg820.html

I have that sage and love it. Amazing grinder for the price.

• Advertisement

It's amazing how urgent something like replacing a grinder becomes!!
    Thank you for the recommendations.

The Sage is typically £200ST.
    While it gets great reviews and seems great value, I'm put off by all the electronics and lcd screen - there just seems more to go wrong, imo. Also, as we use the same beans and same method all the time, all the programability seems unnecessary for our use.

The Rocky appears, to me, to be more of a grinder for life and less complicated for our needs. AS they got a few recommendations here, I went with Home Coffee Machines for the Rocky.

Thanks again. boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

It's amazing how urgent something like replacing a grinder becomes!!
    Thank you for the recommendations.

The Sage is typically £200ST.
    While it gets great reviews and seems great value, I'm put off by all the electronics and lcd screen - there just seems more to go wrong, imo. Also, as we use the same beans and same method all the time, all the programability seems unnecessary for our use.

The Rocky appears, to me, to be more of a grinder for life and less complicated for our needs. AS they got a few recommendations here, I went with Home Coffee Machines for the Rocky.

Thanks again. boardsies.

Good choice.
    Btw sage at the moment is £158 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sage-BCG820BSSUK-Smart-Grinder-Coffee/dp/B00P81AQUU

Well, I got the Rocky. While I haven't really put it through its paces, first impressions are great. I like the look, feel and operation of it.

I wasn't overly impressed with Home Coffee Machines, though.
    After I had paid for the machine, I was contacted and told that it was out of stock and couldn't be delivered until the new year. It really should have shown up on the site as out of stock. While I'm sure he would have refunded my money had I pushed for it, it wasn't offered as an option. Anyway I decided to accept the delay and continue with the purchase. I thought a small gift or small discount would have gone a long way as a sign of appreciation, in the circumstances.

What really annoyed me was that when I finally got the machine yesterday, it was delivered with a two pin European plug. This is not only annoying, it is, as far as I know, illegal.

Edit, found this.
    The standard plugs in Ireland are 3 pin IS411 (BS 1363) type. You are entitled to expect that any electrical item that you buy in Ireland comes with a 3 pin plug. If it does not the item may be considered "not fit for its purpose" as per the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980. Never attempt to place a two pin plug in a three pin socket. The Electricity Supply Board has more information on Safety in the Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Well, I got the Rocky. While I haven't really put it through its paces, first impressions are great. I like the look, feel and operation of it.

I wasn't overly impressed with Home Coffee Machines, though.
    After I had paid for the machine, I was contacted and told that it was out of stock and couldn't be delivered until the new year. It really should have shown up on the site as out of stock. While I'm sure he would have refunded my money had I pushed for it, it wasn't offered as an option. Anyway I decided to accept the delay and continue with the purchase. I thought a small gift or small discount would have gone a long way as a sign of appreciation, in the circumstances.

What really annoyed me was that when I finally got the machine yesterday, it was delivered with a two pin European plug. This is not only annoying, it is, as far as I know, illegal.

Edit, found this.

They probably missed this and will most likely send you a 2 pin to 3 pin adapter if you contact them

2 Pin Euro Plug to 3 Pin UK Mains Adapter - Ideal for GHD's 5 Amp - BLACK https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GR2WNO6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5nDnCb5X16YCR

They probably missed this and will most likely send you a 2 pin to 3 pin adapter if you contact them

2 Pin Euro Plug to 3 Pin UK Mains Adapter - Ideal for GHD's 5 Amp - BLACK https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GR2WNO6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5nDnCb5X16YCR

I've already put a three pin plug on it.
    Just found it a bit annoying on top of the stock issue.
    But hey, no one died.

• Advertisement
Advertisement