Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering marriage certificate photocopies from GRO website

Options
  • 14-12-2018 6:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Yesterday I filled the online form for three photocopies of marriage certificates to be emailed to me. Two are from the 1880s and one is from 1916.

I would like to know how long it typically takes to receive the photocopy by email - are we talking days or weeks?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have found at most three weeks, often much sooner. Once it came after four days. I suppose it very much depends how busy they are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

All of these should be online for free - do you need legal copies of them?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭zmgakt7uw2dvfs

pinkypinky wrote: »
    All of these should be online for free - do you need legal copies of them?

Hi Pinky
    Where are they online for free?

See hyperlink in my post - they're on www.irishgenealogy.ie. Go to the civil records section.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭zmgakt7uw2dvfs

pinkypinky wrote: »
    See hyperlink in my post - they're on www.irishgenealogy.ie. Go to the civil records section.

I was able to get very basic info on the marriages from findmypast - but it’s missing address, occupations, and parents’ names.

I was advised it costs only 4 euro to get a photocopy emailed to you from GRO.

If it’s all completely online for free that would be awesome. Unfortunately the website seems down right now.

• Advertisement

If you read our sticky, you'll find some good beginners advice.

Irishgenealogy.ie is also not working for me right now, but I'm sure it'll be back up in a while.

You most definitely can get a lot free from this site.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Btw, the reason findmypast only has what you mention is that they only have the indexes (similar to Ancestry and Familysearch). Only Irishgenealogy has the actual registers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Occasionally even within the dates mentioned, there are certs for which either the wrong image is up, or still no image, then you would need to order them using this form:
    https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/images/content/GRO_Documents/Form_for_DAHG_site.pdf (.pdf)

Advertisement