Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One for the technical minded!

Options
  • 12-12-2018 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi all my delemma is this-I’m about to buy a Frankford arsenal rotary case tumbler from the us I can get it for €140 in comparison to €300 from Europe.
    I’m wondering since it’s 110v will I be ok using it with our yellow 110v plug off a site type transformer or will it damage the motor it’s 60hz and afaik we use 50hz???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

AFAIR site transformers also change the frequency from 60Hz to 50Hz as well as the voltage. We have a few devices that were made for 110V that we run over here in UK because we are too mean to buy the proper voltage thing, mostly stuff I use in my modelling - a small lathe, a table saw and pillar drill/mill and we use plug-in to the wall socket transformers where necessary with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

We use 50hz here as you said, for general electronics and electrical items the difference isnt a problem.
    But when it comes to motors it is a problem, you wont get the same rpm from it here as you would in the US due to the difference in Hz.
    Get as much technical info that you can out of them as it may be universal, if not there is ways around it but you will spend the savings you make on getting it to run here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

As has been said, the motor will run a bit slower, i do not see any other issues. I run the motor on my american made bridgeport mill and it makes very little difference. You say you are getting the tumbler from the states for 140 vs 300 here, have you factored in the tax/duty you have to pay when it lands here ?

A lot of those mills have had the motors replaced or are running on VSD. Smaller motors can be more sensitive your rpm can be up to 20% slower and worst case possibly burn out the motor. I would give a call to the manufacturer to see is it universal, some manufacturers offer an EU version that you may be able to order instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

The 110 v site transformers do not change the frequency only the volts, and as we operate on 50 Hz this can reduce the speed from approx 1800 rpm to 1500 rpm roughly as an example,
    On smaller powered motors the motor just goes that little bit slower and there is no big discernable difference.
    But on higher powered / bigger Kw ones ,compressor motors for eg. They have extra capacitors fitted for starting torque which are then switched out of circuit at 80% of full speed ,and when this switch does not operate the extra capacitance can burn them out.
    I don't do reloading myself but I would imagine this is a very low powered motor and the 10 Hz would not be an issue.
    Do you have any technical info on the motor ?

• Advertisement

Just checked BTI website they have a 230V 50Hz unit for sale in the US.
    I'd ring them or shop around you will get EU spec stuff off of certain retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭tikkamark

solarwinds wrote: »
    Just checked BTI website they have a 230V 50Hz unit for sale in the US.
    I'd ring them or shop around you will get EU spec stuff off of certain retailers.
    I searched bti there on google and came up with bicycles technology international!Is that the name of the company?

Btibrands.com

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Buy a 220v tumbler from Smartreloader.com. They’re based in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Sika98k wrote: »
    Buy a 220v tumbler from Smartreloader.com. They’re based in Italy.
    Ah it’s a rotary tumbler I’m after not a vibratory tumbler they don’t seem to do rotary unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Sika98k

tikkamark wrote: »
    Ah it’s a rotary tumbler I’m after not a vibratory tumbler they don’t seem to do rotary unfortunately.

Sorry, I didn’t clock that in your original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

Take a look at Bronson++ transformers on amazon . find out now many watts you will be using original voltage x amps = watts
    if it uses 200 amps get the transformer that runs 300 amps.
    the rating they sell buy is the max output good for 30 mins if you go 100w over you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ran a 110 volt Dremel tool I got from the US on a tourist adapter plug for 15 years here,No bother.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement