Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sitting the GAMSAT

Options
  • 12-12-2018 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

Just looking for some advice here. I am a phamacist working full time at the minute and I am looking to sit the GAMSAT. I haven't really done anything for it yet. I understand that everyone is different, but do you think that studying between now and March at weekends and on days off in the hopes of getting a decent mark is wishful thinking? Would you advise giving up full time work to study for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

That's plenty of time. Try not to get stressed out with the exam, you can only do so much to prepare. I would not give up work to study for it. I worked whilst prepping for it, and it turned out fine.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BeckiB

Tough one, I mean obviously you'll have more chance of success studying full time but can you afford to give up work for 3 months? What would be your chance of getting another job quickly after the test if you didn't pass?

Just weekends and days off isn't much now it probably adds up to less than two weeks actual studying so you're really going to need to prioritise. Did you get any study materials yet? One I can recommend is Griffiths Gamsat Review because it really summarises everything you need to study for each section & will help you hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kieran.molo

Hello i am doing the march sitting, can you recommend a specific method of preparing. i have the 4 or 5 acer practise question booklets and plan on doing 1 full exam a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 esme95

Hello i am doing the march sitting, can you recommend a specific method of preparing. i have the 4 or 5 acer practise question booklets and plan on doing 1 full exam a week.

The method of prep that I am using at the moment is going through the Khan videos, making notes and familiarising myself with unfamiliar concepts. For example, I did not do physics for my LC so I have devoted a good bit of time to that. Chemistry I am fine with since I have a Pharmacy degree but there is still a good bit that I have forgotten so brushing up on that. Biology I have not yet started.

I think practise questions are key, or so everyone says. I am starting to go through them; the Des O Neill and the ACER ones. There are also books available called "Examkrackers 1001 Questions MCAT Biology/Physics/Chemistry" which I bought from a guy on Adverts. They are fantastic for covering topics; there are MCQs for each section with excellent thorough explanations of the choices at the back of the book.

Aside from that I am just googling things that I am unsure of and using random sites. The GAMSAT Gold Standard is great also. I was reading the GAMSAT 2018 thread and people were saying that it was a lot more reasoning based than they had anticipated so perhaps I am wasting my time getting through all this information. In any case, I would say to practice as many questions as possible prior to the exam.

As for S1, I have a book which I would highly recommend getting called "Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning". Again, great explanations for each of the choices.

This is my first time sitting the exam so I am not sure if my method is great in all honesty. Will just keep plodding on until the 23rd of March I suppose.

Advertisement