Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding for young puppy (Cork/Dublin)

Options
  • 11-12-2018 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭

We need boarding for our new young puppy (will be 8.5 weeks by then) over Christmas. Our original accommodation for her fell through and we need somewhere between the 24th and 30th of December for her to stay.

Anywhere between Cork and Dublin will suit as we'll be travelling between those two counties. But closer to Cork preferred.

Does anyone have any recommendations of nice places they're aware of still having space and being a good environment for her at the young age? Ideally we'd be with her but timing hasn't worked out.

Edit: Decided to cancel plans and stay with her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Crikey, is the puppy only 6-7 weeks old now?!?!?!? :eek:
    I would suggest that putting a very very young puppy in a boarding kennels would NOT be a good idea. Apart from the fact that the puppy wont have all of its vaccinations complete by then, you would be putting the puppy at risk healthwise. You cannot feasibly put a puppy into a boarding environment - cold (temps) and fear (strange place, with lots of barking dogs etc) and no handling would be a bad move for the puppys development.

You need to find someone who can have the puppy in their home, someone who understands that a puppy of this age cant be walked (no vaccs) and needs to be fed several times/day and not exposed to other dogs (no vaccs).

I would imagine that finding a family member/friend who would be glad to have a cute little puppy for a week wouldnt be very difficult? Having said that I would be careful that your puppy goes to someone who knows what they're at, and not a houseful of over-excited small children (it being Christmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Wow OP 😳

When are u getting your puppy? Surely any decent breeder will take the pup back for that week?

8.5 weeks is far far too young to board honestly it would be traumatic for the pup

I’m sorry to say but why would get get a puppy and leave them for a week?? It’s horrible for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Doubt it was a reputable breeder as the pup will be 8.5 weeks by then so at present it is 6.5, way too early to be sold to anyone if the OP already has it. I know my post isn’t in line with the OP thread title but this really gets to me.

OP, pay heed to the earlier responses as not only is it irresponsible for a boarding facility to take in a half vaccinated pup, but you will be putting it at risk of god knows what along with all of the noises that will most likely cause behavioural issues in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭mp3guy

aonb wrote: »
    You need to find someone who can have the puppy in their home, someone who understands that a puppy of this age cant be walked (no vaccs) and needs to be fed several times/day and not exposed to other dogs (no vaccs).

Yes this was essentially what we had arranged but it doesn't seem like it's an easy thing to find and like you and others have said not the best thing for her. I think we'll end up staying with her!
    em_cat wrote: »
    Doubt it was a reputable breeder as the pup will be 8.5 weeks by then so at present it is 6.5, way too early to be sold to anyone if the OP already has it. I know my post isn’t in line with the OP thread title but this really gets to me.

She is a rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Did she have littermates & a rescue let you have her even though you were going away?

I think you will need to stay with her.

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote: »
    aonb wrote: »

Yes this was essentially what we had arranged but it doesn't seem like it's an easy thing to find and like you and others have said not the best thing for her. I think we'll end up staying with her!

She is a rescue.

Did u tell the rescue your leaving her for a week? Surely they will take her back ..

Personally I’d cancel my plans and stay with her

cocker5 wrote: »
    Did u tell the rescue your leaving her for a week? Surely they will take her back ..

Personally I’d cancel my plans and stay with her

Yes we've decided to do that.

It’s honestly best for the pup .. it would honestly be too upsetting and traumatic for the poor little lady x

You’ll have a great Christmas.. her first one with u

She is a rescue.

Fair play, I thought about that after I posted, as I realised it could be considered judgemental, would the rescue be able to help or is it possible to have her minded by a family member?

Fair play, I thought about that after I posted, as I realised it could be considered judgemental, would the rescue be able to help or is it possible to have her minded by a family member?

I don't think so, but I've been convinced it's best for her to just stay.

• Advertisement

I don't think so, but I've been convinced it's best for her to just stay.

Yes, I’d totally agree that staying with her is best. Years ago we had a rescue that found her way to us and I can remember her first Xmas was a very quite one as compared to the 40 or so people + pets that we usually have.

BTW we would love to see some photos! :)

Photo attached!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She is going to be a big girl.
    What a cutie.

You lucky ducky, she’s gorgeous.

She’s lovely!! Gonna be a big beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Oh she is fabulous! Looks like she's going to be quite big too, doesn't she?

Yes, we were looking for a decent sized dog. Not a fan of small dogs! Also we'll have a good field for her to run around once she's old enough. Looking forward to being able to start walking her in a few weeks time.

Advertisement