Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone suggestions with a difference…

Options
  • 11-12-2018 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

After a as good as 3 week battle with Vodafone over issues with a P Smart and the bootloader unlocked being Fonfix/Vodafone get out of jail card I am now looking again
    • Bootloader unlock/root etc without warranty loss
    • Great camera, if need to install different app etc so be it(suppose depends on above)
    • Battery Battery Battery, would love to be able to go mad taking pictures and videos and upload to the cloud via mobile data and not have a powerbank and phone in hand
    • NFC, just odd top up of leap card, if no NFC then can just use herself phone
    • Updates, would love to keep as up to date as possible and no messing with having to download zips etc and force updates
    • Prefer not too have an hidden costs like customs etc, no point bargain phone then DHL etc come looking for their cut

Have Xiaomi pieces of tech and seem to do a lot right, so one company idea

Budget E250 max, if under as usually get some cheap rubber/hard plastic cases

Thanks for any and all info!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Great Camera and €250 don't intersect, closest to that is the Poco.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

ED E wrote: »
    Great Camera and €250 don't intersect, closest to that is the Poco.

Well I dunno what the expectations of great would be :confused:

Using a Huawei G7 and P Smart and from my eye and most people the pictures are grand, but then I suppose if you put them up and get people in the know too run the eye over them then not the best of the best

mi a2 lite is one that I've recommended a lot -

camera isn't great in low light but if you enable camera2 api it is decent with a night sight google camera app (search xda for how to do this - no root required - not hard)

you can get it for 160 or so for 64gb / 4gb ram version on eglobal

it has stock android pie on it now - pie is a great update - best version of Android so far by far imo.

no nfc

the only phone around 250 with nfc is the honor 8x but you'll never be able to unlock the bootloader on that as Huawei have blocked this for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Mi max 3 if you are looking for something different. Massive phone with massive battery

glasso wrote: »
    mi a2 lite is one that I've recommended a lot -

camera isn't great in low light but if you enable camera2 api it is decent with a night sight google camera app (search xda for how to do this - no root required - not hard)

you can get it for 160 or so for 64gb / 4gb ram version on eglobal

it has stock android pie on it now - pie is a great update - best version of Android so far by far imo.

no nfc

the only phone around 250 with nfc is the honor 8x but you'll never be able to unlock the bootloader on that as Huawei have blocked this for a while.

Yeah I was looking at the A1 before I got the P Smart, definitely on the maybe list thanks

Between that and a few other things I think my brand loyalty too Huawei is over

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    Yeah I was looking at the A1 before I got the P Smart, definitely on the maybe list thanks

Between that and a few other things I think my brand loyalty too Huawei is over

if you try to get service on a phone where you have modified the software you will get hassle no matter what the brand - just a fact

if you try to get service on a phone where you have modified the software you will get hassle no matter what the brand - just a fact

I thought i read a few manufacturers allow it? One-plus was one im sure

Plus if I messed around and broke software on phone hard luck, but if its a hardware issue it shouldn't matter what you do too software :confused:

I thought i read a few manufacturers allow it? One-plus was one im sure

Plus if I messed around and broke software on phone hard luck, but if its a hardware issue it shouldn't matter what you do too software :confused:

yes but you're just giving them a reason to say that it caused the fault or that you're not covered.

that's the way it works.

obviously a smashed screen is not a software issue but you're not covered for that anyway!

yes but you're just giving them a reason to say that it caused the fault or that you're not covered.

that's the way it works.

obviously a smashed screen is not a software issue but you're not covered for that anyway!

I know that from firsthand experience now and can add my story to the long list of similar get out of jail excuses

If i get a phone without loads of bloatware and a decent backup app(as titanium needs root) then not many reasons too unlock I suppose

I know that from firsthand experience now and can add my story to the long list of similar get out of jail excuses

If i get a phone without loads of bloatware and a decent backup app(as titanium needs root) then not many reasons too unlock I suppose

hence android one phones with stock android like mi a2 lite being a good option.

no bloatware at all.

• Advertisement

hence android one phones with stock android like mi a2 lite being a good option.

no bloatware at all.

Another tick for it :cool:

Looking at the camera procedure and doesn't look the worse thing too do

Advertisement