Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6 Battery Draining

Options
  • 10-12-2018 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice. Was having charging issues with my phone so realised it was the cable and new one working perfectly on a fast charge. However out of the blue the battery is starting to drain by a couple of percent per minute on standby. I checked apps and just wiped cache but no good. It charges really quickly again but is really of no use unless on charge. I know it's an older phone but this literally happened overnight. I didn't install any new apps or anything.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

angeline wrote:
    Just looking for some advice. Was having charging issues with my phone so realised it was the cable and new one working perfectly on a fast charge. However out of the blue the battery is starting to drain by a couple of percent per minute on standby. I checked apps and just wiped cache but no good. It charges really quickly again but is really of no use unless on charge. I know it's an older phone but this literally happened overnight. I didn't install any new apps or anything.

The S6 is unfortunately old and the battery is failing. It's time to bring it to a repair centre for a battery replacement or upgrade the handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

You can't remove the battery from the S6 so that's not an option. It wasn't a case of the battery slowly worsening. This happened overnight so I suspect something else is amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Charge it fully, turn it off. Turn it back on 5hrs later, is it still charged?

Yes: Its software on the phone
    No: The cell is internally shorted - dangerous, don't use

And the battery can be changed, its just not as simple as previous generations.

I'll try the above tonight thanks. Turning it off for 5 hours and back on. Will report back tomorrow!

angeline wrote:
    You can't remove the battery from the S6 so that's not an option. It wasn't a case of the battery slowly worsening. This happened overnight so I suspect something else is amiss.

As the other poster said, any phone battery is removable, I replaced an S6 battery last year :)

Hope you get sorted!

• Advertisement

Ah ok I had read online that the battery couldn't be removed. Obviously incorrect info.

ED E wrote: »
    Charge it fully, turn it off. Turn it back on 5hrs later, is it still charged?

Yes: Its software on the phone
    No: The cell is internally shorted - dangerous, don't use

And the battery can be changed, its just not as simple as previous generations.

I turned off the phone as you suggested for 5 hours and when I turned it on it was still fully charged. It started dropping rapidly when I started using it. I know you said this means it is a software issue but any idea where I go from here. Thanks.

It dropped rapidly from 100% to 1% in less than half an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

angeline wrote: »
    It dropped rapidly from 100% to 1% in less than half an hour.

Try a factory reset of phone if all else fails but read up first about what data to back up as you'll be wiping the phone to the state it was in when new.

You can also try using Samsung's Switch software to do this.

The battery is the issue here, factory reset won't do anything..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Keith186

Had similar problem on S6 a good while ago.
    Started draining a lot for no particular reason.
    I don't know what fixed it but I managed it somehow.

Start by switching off all location services then restarting and testing for a while. Then turn off WiFi stuff that may be switched on in the background.
    It was either of those for me but not sure what exactly fixed it.
    Look up what's using the battery, it was android services or one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tedpan wrote: »

A very sudden change combined with the above test says you're wrong.

ED E wrote:

I've seen this happen to several mobiles, I regularly repair phones for friends and colleagues.. Suppose the OP will confirm anyway.

ED E wrote: »
    tedpan wrote: »

You were correct about it being a software issue and it was my own fault. The phone was due a software update for some time but I kept putting it off. I've done it now and restarted the phone and it is fine now. Thanks for your input.

angeline wrote:
    You were correct about it being a software issue and it was my own fault. The phone was due a software update for some time but I kept putting it off. I've done it now and restarted the phone and it is fine now. Thanks for your input.

Nice, let us know how you get on over the next few days.

Advertisement