Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Three sim for dedicated broadband?

Options
  • 10-12-2018 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. Long story short, we've tried multiple providers and our internet has always been terrible. Sub 3mb when it works, we're not exactly out in the countryside either, we're about three miles from Limerick city centre. The trouble is that we're too far from a cabinet to get reliable internet, we've been through three providers at this stage and it's always terrible. I've tested a 4g Three dongle in the house and its good, far better than anything our wired connections gives us but the dongle is a horrible piece of hardware. I'm aware you can get an ariel for these now so I was thinking of going this route.

The only bad thing I can see is I've heard rumours that Three are "Turing off" sims that are doing this just for BB. Any truth in that? I was thinking of getting the 20 p/m unlimited prepay sim. Any other options?

Basically is that my best route and what ariels would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Loads do it. Three reserve the right to dump you, no reports of it happening in ROI.

Forget the dongle, get an LTE router and test, if needed add an antenna pair to that. B593 is a good older model, you can spend more but outside suburbia it probably won't yield any benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I've been running that setup for almost a year, typically downloading 300MB+ per month. Could of course be cut off anytime, but no harm at €20 a month while it lasts. Using diamond antenna and Huawei B593 router, typically getting 20-30Mbps can drop to 5-10Mbps in the evenings.

Actually just cancelled my long term WISP today, that was €35/month for 4 Mbps and I just used it as backup since I've had the 4G.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Here is the antenna that I am using with my Huawei B593. You may find that you don't even need an external antenna. Got a refurbished router for ~€80 - make sure it is unlocked so will take any network SIM.

Plenty support for this kind of setup out there - checkout Sean's page here for lots of Ireland specific advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I have Three PAYG, they say they cut you off at 60G / month, they don't, I do much more than that.
    Three have a sim only plan 30€ / month , one month rollover contract, 750G
    Get Huawei B525

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I have Three PAYG, they say they cut you off at 60G / month, they don't, I do much more than that.
    Three have a sim only plan 30€ / month , one month rollover contract, 750G
    Get Huawei B525

^ This is the backup if the €20/month PAYG is cut off by Three. 750GB is plenty for us if need be.

Pretty much any LTE router will do, do some research and see what suits you best price and functionality wise - so long as not locked to another network. Look forward to seeing how you get on.

*** BTW - just found myself locked out of Ulsterbank online banking - this has cropped up previously and appears to be due to some Three IP address blocks being blacklisted for suspicious activity. Annoying but usually resolves within a few days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement