Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheehans of Buttevant or Mallow

Options
  • 09-12-2018 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I am trying to make a link between a Catherine Sheehan (abt 1790-1862) and the ancestral family of Canon Sheehan (17 March 1852 – 5 October 1913), who was born in Mallow.

Catherine Sheehan married James Healy of Island, Burnfort and tradition has it that she was a relative of Canon Sheehan.

Catherine was James's second wife and was much younger. She produced children in the 1820s and 1830s (last one in 1839). The family emigrated around 1850. James died in Chicago on 17 Feb 1857 at around 100 years of age, and Catherine died in Chicago on 30 Aug 1862.

According to information publicly available, Canon Patrick Augustine Sheehan was one of 5 children (Hannah (-1871) and Margaret (-1868), Patrick Augustine (1852-1913), Denis (1854-1941), John, who died at age 5). Their parents were Patrick Sheehan (died on 13 July 1863) and Joanna Regan (died on 6 February 1864). They lived at New Street in Mallow town and had a bakery and a pub. When they were orphaned, the 4 surviving children became became a ward of the parish priest of Mallow.

It is reported that Patrick (senior) had a brother Michael who was a shopkeeper in Buttevant. I guess that Catherine came either from Mallow or Buttevant and I would like to narrow it down.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

brownangel wrote: »
    tradition has it that she was a relative of Canon Sheehan.

"Tradition" can often be at best loosely interpreted.

I have a relative described on a plaque as a cousin of Cardinal Cullen.

In reality the connection is very tenous indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

tabbey wrote: »
    "Tradition" can often be at best loosely interpreted.

I have a relative described on a plaque as a cousin of Cardinal Cullen.

In reality the connection is very tenous indeed.

Apparently I'm a relative of cardinal terence cook probably why my family is full with nuns and priests

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownangel

In this case it's stronger than that. It is a definite statement that Catherine Sheehan was one of "Canon Sheehan's crowd". Coming from the person who made that statement, I believe it was not an attempt to elevate the family's status, merely to identify the family of origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

brownangel wrote: »
    In this case it's stronger than that. It is a definite statement that Catherine Sheehan was one of "Canon Sheehan's crowd". Coming from the person who made that statement, I believe it was not an attempt to elevate the family's status, merely to identify the family of origin.

Then it is up to you to verify your own ancestry and that of Canon Sheahan.
    This must be done methodically and accurately, otherwise it is no value.

If you and he share common ancestors, then you and the Canon are related.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yep, you'll have to do the hard work here and trace both families.

If there's any Sheehan descendants living, a shortcut might be to test their autosomal DNA and yours. If there's a connection, it may still show.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement