Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Hotel

Options
  • 09-12-2018 6:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So for xmas I'm buying parents flights to New York and accomodation. I'm just wondering if any of you could reccomend where to stay. It's for 4 nights, I have done a bit of research myself and picked these 3 places

Crowne Plaza
    New Yorker
    New York Marriot

Is there any others people could recommend? I want them to be central enough, thanks. At the minute I'm thinking crowne plaza as it looks good and is reasonable priced.

Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Hotel Beacon 75th and Broadway. Subway (72nd St.) is across the road, as is supermarket. You get a small apartment, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. Wifi included. Staff wonderful. Great food in the locality and anywhere is accessible. Central Park short walk..... reasonably priced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

There's 2 Crowne Plaza hotels in Manhattan, which one were you looking at?

My own personal opinion is 75th is too far north and your parents will end up spending a lot of time on the subway or in taxis. I previously stayed at Hilton Midtown at 6th and 53rd and found the location to be good. Times Square/Theatre District/Central Park all within walking distance. Hotel is your average Hilton nothing special but the location can't be beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Stayed in the Hampton Inn Seaport by the Brooklyn Bridge, Everywhere (downtown ...Wall St, WTC, Chinatown, Little Italy, East and Greenwich Villages) within walking distance. 1 block from the river. Highly recommend. Just took a cab up to mid town as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭knockoutned

Not really helpful regarding specific hotels, but do you know when your parents will be visiting and what your parents are hoping to do / see. The weather can really limit how far your parents would walk if they come in January - March (cold) and June - August (heat)

I personally would not recommend anyone to stay in and around Time Square or the Garment District especially if your parents are anyway elderly. I appreciate that this is where the majority of hotels are but it's not a very nice part of the city. An hour in Time Square feels like an eternity, four days would be a nightmare IMO. I personally think it’s better to stay where the locals live, and not where the tourists stay (think Temple Bar). Much better selection of restaurants and bars etc. not just tourist traps that you have in midtown.

You say central, but if they are on a subway line, you can get anywhere in Manhattan pretty much in 30 minutes. Just travel after peak hours and they will be grand. Just be aware, that the subway stations at both Time Square and 34th streets (6th, 7th and 8th ave) are horrible, and I would not like to have to go through them every day. Time Square can also be confusing to navigate.

I haven't stayed in the Beacon, but the location is good and would be close to the larger museums and Broadway Shows. As already said, the Express line is also close by. Last time my parents where there, they stayed in Sheraton in Tribeca. Hotel was fine, but was very close to SoHo, West village and downtown.

I would think of what your parents want to do, where those places are primarily located and look for a hotel that way. As I said, subway can get you anywhere and they will have to travel on it if they want to see the major attractions as they are spread all over Manhattan. Worth knowing, if they are coming over for a weekend, financial district is cheaper than other areas at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Not really helpful regarding specific hotels, but do you know when your parents will be visiting and what your parents are hoping to do / see. The weather can really limit how far your parents would walk if they come in January - March (cold) and June - August (heat)

I personally would not recommend anyone to stay in and around Time Square or the Garment District especially if your parents are anyway elderly. I appreciate that this is where the majority of hotels are but it's not a very nice part of the city. An hour in Time Square feels like an eternity, four days would be a nightmare IMO. I personally think it’s better to stay where the locals live, and not where the tourists stay (think Temple Bar). Much better selection of restaurants and bars etc. not just tourist traps that you have in midtown.

You say central, but if they are on a subway line, you can get anywhere in Manhattan pretty much in 30 minutes. Just travel after peak hours and they will be grand. Just be aware, that the subway stations at both Time Square and 34th streets (6th, 7th and 8th ave) are horrible, and I would not like to have to go through them every day. Time Square can also be confusing to navigate.

I haven't stayed in the Beacon, but the location is good and would be close to the larger museums and Broadway Shows. As already said, the Express line is also close by. Last time my parents where there, they stayed in Sheraton in Tribeca. Hotel was fine, but was very close to SoHo, West village and downtown.

I would think of what your parents want to do, where those places are primarily located and look for a hotel that way. As I said, subway can get you anywhere and they will have to travel on it if they want to see the major attractions as they are spread all over Manhattan. Worth knowing, if they are coming over for a weekend, financial district is cheaper than other areas at the weekend.

^^^^^^
    This! Great advice...I personally hate Midtown area, packed full of tourists and not much to see after an hour and looking down Broadway at the lights.

I had forgot to add that to my post that hotels in Financial District much cheaper at weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Club Quarters has great rates in the Financial District at the weekends. Members of the public can book even if they’re not affiliated with a member company

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Brendan, don't know if you have booked yet for Mam and Dad, but here is a little sweetener if interested... received today..

Enjoy up to 40% off of our best rate available during our Winter Presale. Reserve your stay at the Hotel Beacon by December 24th, 2018. Use booking code BIS or BIADV for additional discount.

Valid on new bookings only when you book on Hotel Beacon website; no minimum stay required. Offer valid on any stay from now till March 31, 2019. Black-out dates may apply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,049 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

NSAman wrote: »
    Brendan, don't know if you have booked yet for Mam and Dad, but here is a little sweetener if interested... received today.. Enjoy up to 40% off of our best rate available during our Winter Presale. Reserve your stay at the Hotel Beacon by December 24th, 2018. Use booking code BIS or BIADV for additional discount. Valid on new bookings only when you book on Hotel Beacon website; no minimum stay required. Offer valid on any stay from now till March 31, 2019. Black-out dates may apply.
    Hotel Beacon: Next to the Beacon Theatre, this upscale hotel in the Upper West Side is a 4-minute walk from the subway station, a mile from Central Park and 10 minutes' walk from the American Museum of Natural History. Free Wi-Fi Laundry service Kitchen in all rooms Airport shuttle Fitness center

Advertisement