Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to register a .ie domain name

• 08-12-2018 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a business and want to register the domain name now.
    It will be about 3 months before I have the business up and running and a website live. How do I go about just registering the domain name for now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Choose a domain registrar and follow their instructions.

The rules around .ie domains have been relaxed considerably: I believe you only have to show connection with Ireland. I was recently able to register a new .ie domain without having to prove anything, simply because I already had one through that registrar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Choose a domain registrar and follow their instructions.

The rules around .ie domains have been relaxed considerably: I believe you only have to show connection with Ireland. I was recently able to register a new .ie domain without having to prove anything, simply because I already had one through that registrar.

Ok, lets assume i'm clueless, what a 'domain registrar'?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

A domain registrar is a company/organisation that can register domains (for you).

.ie domains are managed by the IE domain registry. Use their site to search for your domain name, underneath the search results you will see a random selection of .ie registrars to choose from:

iedr.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jane98 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a business and want to register the domain name now.
    It will be about 3 months before I have the business up and running and a website live. How do I go about just registering the domain name for now?

If you are that unaware about what a domain register is (absolutely no offence intended) I imagine you will be getting help to actually create the site.

I would suggest identifying who you will use to create the site for you and ask them to start now and let them register it for you.

There are several things to consider whether it's email hosting, handling payments (if you are selling online) or security and having one company involved from the outset reduces the risk that anything falls between the cracks or that a later company would blame someone else for not having done something.

If you are that unaware about what a domain register is (absolutely no offence intended) I imagine you will be getting help to actually create the site.

I would suggest identifying who you will use to create the site for you and ask them to start now and let them register it for you.

There are several things to consider whether it's email hosting, handling payments (if you are selling online) or security and having one company involved from the outset reduces the risk that anything falls between the cracks or that a later company would blame someone else for not having done something.

You’re absolutely right. I will get a company to build the site for me. Do you have any recommendations as to who I should use?

• Advertisement

Jane98 wrote: »
    You’re absolutely right. I will get a company to build the site for me. Do you have any recommendations as to who I should use?

There are several out there. You need to select based on your location, the type of site you want and how much you want to spend.

Talk to your local enterprise office and ask them for advice or recommendations. There is even a €2k grant available for building a website if you meet qualifying criteria.

I would caution that you need strong dependable advice on this. Get at least 3 quotes and ask any website builders to show you sites they have built. Talk to those site owners to ask them what their experience was in working with the company and a ball park figure for what they paid.

I'd be afraid (again no judgement) that given your lack of knowledge on this that you might not be best placed to know if the price someone quotes you is reasonable or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

That's only for hosting. You could register the domain without having to think about any of that.

Wheety wrote: »
    That's only for hosting. You could register the domain without having to think about any of that.

As per the first post, the OP intends setting up a site in 3 months.

Given their lack of knowledge, in this case, I stand by my advice it's best to get someone involved from the start.

In addition to the points I made already, an experienced person will have a good opinion on a website name. It's worth hearing this advice before registering a name and then realising you have to register a new site.

Or that your preferred domain is actually .com over .ie or whatever.

Wheety wrote: »

Yeah, thats the way I was hoping to go but other posters here are suggesting that might cause me problems when I go to set up the website around 3 months down the line. Whats you opinion on that? And can you recommend where I should go to just register the domain name for now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just register the name for now and it will be yours. Dont worry about hosting or that just yet, you can add that later

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

wonga77 wrote: »
    Just register the name for now and it will be yours. Dont worry about hosting or that just yet, you can add that later

+1

Advertisement