Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Targeted Ads - How do they know?

Options
  • 07-12-2018 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭

Earlier this week I went to a shop that I rarely go to. Its got an unusual name and not many branches.

I paid with a card. I told some people in work I had gone there and bought something and showed them.

The next day i got a targeted ad on Facebook for this shop. I noticed because of its unusual name. I dont ever recall getting a targeted ad for them before.

How do they know? Was it the card payment? Or is someone listening through my phone when I tell people I was there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Sorcery.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Something not someone is listening through your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Geo-Location! If you have the F/B app it is possibly seeing/reading where you are geographically. It then sends this back to F/B HQ and bingo - targeted ads.

I think you can either turn that off in your maps or the FB app - or leave your phone in a locked metal box!

C

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Probably Location turned on your phone. Facebook/Google will detect you were there, time you spent there and determine if you were there long enough to purchase something.

Never ever underestimate just how well these algorithms can predict what items you'll want to buy based on your browsing habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Cookies on your PC/phone/whatever based on your browsing history. Clear your browser history (including cookies) if you want to get rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Geo locations, listening to you through microphone sounds very illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

wakka12 wrote: »
    Geo locations, listening to you through microphone sounds very illegal

Not if you read and agreed to the terms of use, and granted permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Have you ever noticed the times the targeted ad got it wrong?

Perhaps the people you told about the shop later searched for details about the shop. And since facebook knows you're friends with them thought you may be interested in that shop too.

This however may cause you to put on your tinfoil hat. Browser fingerprints

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Geolocation, browser history etc. etc. which results in a few odd, and rather pointless, outcomes.

Firstly when I get targeted ads to get me to buy something I've actually just bought anyway, often in the same online shop I bought it from.

Secondly when I've been abroad and get bombarded with ads in foreign languages for products and services I can't avail of anyway. Even happens when I've been on Irish Ferries as their onboard WiFi seems to be provided by a Norwegian company so I get loads of Norwegian ads for weeks afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

Things like using your phones GPS to target location-based ads

Also, a really interesting one is a thing called Facebook Pixel. It essentially allows Facebook to see what you do on the internet while you're not on Facebook

If you're browsing on any website that is using Facebook Pixel, Facebook will get all that data and be able to target their ads at you based on your browsing habits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you ever noticed the times the targeted ad got it wrong?

Perhaps the people you told about the shop later searched for details about the shop. And since facebook knows you're friends with them thought you may be interested in that shop too.

This however may cause you to put on your tinfoil hat. Browser fingerprints

The best is when you've just come back from an amazing holiday and get ads about booking a holday ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Google and Facebook collect browsing history. This is done even when incognito mode is switched on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

But its a tiny shop - how would they know I was in there and not the one next door if its geolocation?

I doubt the shop is even 4 metres wide.

I checked my google maps timeline.

It knows I was in the shopping centre but not this tiny shop.

brevity wrote: »
    Google and Facebook collect browsing history. This is done even when incognito mode is switched on.

I didnt browse to anything online for the shop. I dont even know if they have a website.

It was a walking visit to a small bricks and mortar shop in a shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You can be tracked across devices too if logged in to Google or FB and the likes. Also possible is slurping of wifi access points history on your phone apps.

Why they added you post sale is a retargetting snafu.

Some targetting fails:
    Ad for Dead Like Me on an Obituary page.
    Best Hotel rates in Cairo on page reporting Arab Spring riots.
    Marijuana ad on article on kid sprinkling grass on lasagne mistaking it for herbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Cordell

AI and data mining (browsing and search history, location, personal habits). They know you better than you know yourself. They know when you go to bed and when you wake up. They know when you go to the jacks, and what for.

No one is listening, that will be a huge risk and also a crude and ineffective method. And by they I mean the machines, no human can deal with this amount of data.

https://twitter.com/DuckDuckGo/status/1069952162548146176?s=20

Have a read of some of the articles in the Twitter thread above.

The amount of data the companies have is mind boggling.

....... wrote: »
    I didnt browse to anything online for the shop. I dont even know if they have a website.

It was a walking visit to a small bricks and mortar shop in a shopping centre.

Then Facebook used the location data from your phone and found the shop from other people searching for this particular shop.

brevity wrote: »
    Then Facebook used the location data from your phone and found the shop from other people searching for this particular shop.

Yes but how accurate is location data?

I thought it was only to within 6 metres or so?

This is a tiny shop in a big shopping centre, surrounded by other shops.

I was in there about 5 minutes. I was in another shop too that I didnt buy anything in. I was also in a large penneys a couple of hundred of metres away and I did buy something.

I can see on googles timeline that it knows I was in the shopping centre, but not the specific shop.

I didnt think location services would be accurate enough to track you into a small shop?

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Accuracy is down to about 1m at present, so very possible.

Really?

Do you have any links for that, Ive had a google but Im not seeing anything that states that level of accuracy.

Thats a hell of a lot more accurate than I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

How does your google home assistant know you've said "Hey Google", well its because its always listening to you. So is your phone.

Try having a conversation about something in detail you wouldnt normally talk about, like going on holidays to a certain place while your phone is in ear shot. Then watch the targeted ad's over the next 24 - 48 hours about that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

The best is when you've just come back from an amazing holiday and get ads about booking a holday ...

A lot of people feel a bit down after a holiday because its over and cant wait to book their next one to have something to look forward to, imho it is an example of targeted advertising at its best

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It has happened to me, my girlfriend and my boss. For me I was talking to my girlfriend about painting my house and picking out colours. I hadn't gone near any hardware stores or anything of the sort beforehand. About 3 hours later I'm scrolling through Facebook and appearing in front of me are ads for paint, rollers, brushes etc.

My girlfriend was talking to her sister about getting a new car. She mentioned several different cars but focused on the Mazda6. Later that night she had ads on Facebook for Mazda dealers in our area.

My boss was talking to his partner in the office about having to go to Lidl to get food after work. Lo and behold a few minutes later he started getting ads for Lidl on Facebook.

It's not just your browser history but when you install the Facebook app (and many other apps) on your phone it asks for permission to use the microphone. This isn't just for making calls through Messenger. I have since turned off the microphone permissions for all apps and haven't had this issue since. It's bloody creepy!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well OP, how do I tell you this.... I am stalking you for the last 6 months and I tagged you on my Facebook account as checked into the said shop. I have you blocked just in case you think I am a little weird but at least the ad is targetted to you now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

You buy one quadcopter and 3 years later, still quadcopter ads.

Oh sh*t, I've typed quadcopter 3 times now. It may never end for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You buy one quadcopter and 3 years later, still quadcopter ads.

Oh sh*t, I've typed quadcopter 3 times now. It may never end for me.

Your doomed.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

The person in work is a rat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Google literally pops up questions to me every day looking for reviews.

How was supervalu.

How was supermacs ...tell others what to expect

It knows exactly where you were

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Kimbot wrote: »
    Your doomed.......

Hot naked ladies, hot naked ladies, hot naked ladies.

There. Balance redressed!

Advertisement