If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Green Cert

  • 07-12-2018 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alangeorge

    Do you have to be 30 or under to really benefit from doing the Green Cert


  • Posts: 0 Brynn Gifted Yoga

    alangeorge wrote: »
    Do you have to be 30 or under to really benefit from doing the Green Cert

    No, the biggest benefit of all from the green cert is the agricultural relief on CAT and this applies regardless of your age.

  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alangeorge


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

    It's under 35 for transfer etc and to qualify as a young trained farmer.

  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alangeorge

    so once over 35 youre at a disadvantage on grants etc, you pay stamp duty etc

  • Posts: 0 Brynn Gifted Yoga

    L1985 wrote: »
    It's under 35 for transfer etc and to qualify as a young trained farmer.

    It’s only the stamp duty aspect of a transfer you need to be under 35 for the tax relief can be availed of at any age and that’s the big one.

    The stamp duty relief might save a few thousand the Agri relief on CAT could save a few hundred thousand in tax.

    Basically under 35 you can get stamp duty relief + all the other things below.

    Under 40 you get the agri relief, top ups on grants, 50% bonus on entitlemt payments and maybe a few other bits.

    Over 40 you just get th argi relief on CAT.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

    I've also enquired on this is another thread here but does having the Green cert allow you to pay 1% rather than 6% Stamp Duty on a farm transfer, regardless of age, through Consanguinity Relief?

    From this document:
    Conditions for availing of the relief
    The individual to whom the land is conveyed or transferred must, from the date of
    execution of the conveyance or transfer:
     farm the land for a period of not less than 6 years, or
    Tax and Duty Manual Schedules to SDCA 1999

     lease it for a period of not less than 6 years to an individual who will farm the
    The person who farms the land must:
     be the holder of (or, within a period of 4 years from the date of the conveyance
    or transfer, become the holder of) a qualification set out in Schedule 2, 2A or 2B
    to the SCDA, or
     spend not less than 50% of the individual's normal working time farming land
    (including the land conveyed or transferred).

    Note the "OR" in bold above.
    So I suppose the Green Cert can apply instead of the 50% working time rule, so not vital but a help.

    Any clarity that can be provided from those who know for sure is much appreciated

  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Flat to the square right.

    Is the green cert of any benefit once the land has been transferred and over 40 years of age?

  • Registered Users Posts: 17,158 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

    You need to provide more details.

    I think you have a few years in which to complete it to qualify for Ag relief. Is that the reason you are asking? Presumably you claim it and if you don't submit the paperwork in time then they claw it back.

    However you don't need it to qualify for the Ag relief. An alternative method is to lease the land for 6 years to someone who is qualified. Or whoever ends up working it has to spend 50% of their time working it as a commercial operation.

    Don't take my post as any kind of definitive answer. It might only point you in the correct direction.

    You can avail of top ups on the grant til 41 for organic schemes I think for some reason.

    You can get a PU number after it as well without having to do a day course.

    And you might learn something that is useful depending on your own experience.

  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Flat to the square right.

    Basically I’m over 40, working off farm. Some of the farm was transferred to me few years ago but parents still farming away happily. I’m just trying to plan ahead and wondering will having the green cert be of any benefit to me in the future? I don’t have it although I did the 180 hours of training in the teagasc centre along with my 3rd level education. I got a cert from teagasc to say that I completed the training but never got the green cert.

  • Registered Users Posts: 17,158 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

    As I said on the other thread (but this one will probably get more traffic), I think the old 180 hour course used to be enough to get you "the Green Cert" back in the day. Some on here probably did it and could confirm.

    There isn't actually a "Green Cert" per se. What you get it now is for something that is comprised of a Level 5 Cert and a Level 6 Cert. One is a "certificate in agriculture" and I think the other one is a "special purpose certificate in farming". If you do "the green cert" then you will get those two certificates. They might have "(Green Cert)" in brackets on them somewhere in the title alright. But you don't get sent one special "parchment" that just says "Green Cert" on it. So it might be the case that your 180 hour course cert might have qualified you back in the day

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭DBK1

    If you completed the 180 hour course you should be able to get Teagasc to issue you with a “Certificate of Equivalence”, provided that whatever third level course you completed gave you a Level 6 qualification.

    This is basically a cert to verify that between your 3rd level course and your 180 hour Teagasc course you have an education equal too or better than that you would have received if you had completed a dedicated green cert course.