Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adjusting the heat of an electric blanket?

• 06-12-2018 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi, I have a 3 position electric blanket but even 1 is too hot for it to be on all night!

I opened the contoller and I'm thinking that chainging the resistors marked R1 & R2 may do the job.

Can anyone with more knowledge let me know if this willl work and what value resistors I should use. The ones in it are 1K ohm but I don't know the wattage.

Image of board:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aWcptgBUY86G1t9D9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hi, I have a 3 position electric blanket but even 1 is too hot for it to be on all night!

I opened the contoller and I'm thinking that chainging the resistors marked R1 & R2 may do the job.

Can anyone with more knowledge let me know if this willl work and what value resistors I should use. The ones in it are 1K ohm but I don't know the wattage.

Image of board:

Why don't you just light a fire under the bed altogether, start with a small one and then keep building it up until you find the optimum level.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Image of board:

Why dont you just put a thicker sheet or matress cover between your sheet and the electric blanket, will reduce the heat flow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

An electric blanket is to heat up the best before you get in it and you should turn it off before you get in.
    Having one that gets very hot will heat up the bed faster for you, sounds like you have a good one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Why don't you just light a fire under the bed altogether, start with a small one and then keep building it up until you find the optimum level.

I'd be worried about carbon monoxide...

GolfVI wrote: »
    Why dont you just put a thicker sheet or matress cover between your sheet and the electric blanket, will reduce the heat flow

I actually put a spare duvet underneath already, it has made it worse but it's super comfortable and the girlfriend wants it to stay!

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    An electric blanket is to heat up the best before you get in it and you should turn it off before you get in.
    Having one that gets very hot will heat up the bed faster for you, sounds like you have a good one!

That is fake news!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards-75184-Heated-Underblanket/dp/B0052WHHES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Image of board:

Trace the circuit and draw a circuit diagram with the components and values indicated.
    That might help get some reasonable response from someone familiar with such things.

Is there a discernible difference between the heat settings?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't mess with it.

Easier to use a timer switch. Like the old analog ones with 15 minute intervals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

The resistors do not control the heat.

The blanket has two sets of heating elements e.g a and b
    The switch then selects element a or element b or elements a&b.
    Giving you 3 heat settings
    Are you sure you have a "keep on all night blanket" most are to warm the bed only then turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

M.T.D wrote: »
    The resistors do not control the heat.

The blanket has two sets of heating elements e.g a and b
    The switch then selects element a or element b or elements a&b.
    Giving you 3 heat settings
    Are you sure you have a "keep on all night blanket" most are to warm the bed only then turn off.

This. The one linked above specifically mentions it's to be left on all night. Any electric blankets I've seen are turned on a while before you go to bed, then the bed is warm when you get in.

If it were me, I'd just place it where it belongs...in the bin :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If position 1 is too hot then it is over-speced for what you need.

Tell your GF you are doing something to help preserve environment and not using unnecessary energy. Donate it to charity and if your GF is cold I'm sure ye'll come up with some way to warm up. ;)

(If you choose to do none of the above, check the wattage of the blanket and buy a smaller wattage one. Modifying existing one will increase likelihood of fire significantly)

Very strange if this is the blanket you have.
    It has 4 heat setting but the circuit you showed has 3.
    Also many of the reviews say it is no hot enough on the highest setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Very strange if this is the blanket you have.
    It has 4 heat setting but the circuit you showed has 3.
    Also many of the reviews say it is no hot enough on the highest setting.

I got that from Argos a while back and returned it, a total piece of crap, tiny, as in smaller than a towel, not warm enough even on highest, no extra heat around the feet as promised. I doubt that's the ops one if he's complaining its too hot.

I returned it and got a silent night double, that thing can practically heat a room :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

gctest50 wrote: »

Is it worth importing for the U.S?
    Will they work ok on our power supply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Is it worth importing for the U.S?
    Will they work ok on our power supply?

No!!!

DSC_2034_zpsxye8tdbo.jpg

Here's one I built earlier.
    It's a 400W lighting dimmer with the output wired to a socket.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DSC_2034_zpsxye8tdbo.jpg

Something like an electric drill would probably zap it.

Lighting dimmers don't like back emf or transients.

It's for resistive loads. Haven't blown it up yet.

I made it for Missus Liamalot's jewelry kiln that has no t-stat, temp monitor or proportional control.

PS. Snubber diodes.

It's for resistive loads. Haven't blown it up yet.

I made it for Missus Liamalot's jewelry kiln that has no t-stat, temp monitor or proportional control.

PS. Snubber diodes.
    Or put the dimmer in the centre of a bridge rectifier.

• Advertisement

Ironically it's a transient generator. Phase fired control. Meh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Oh my gosh, I just realised how long it is since I designed zero crossing controllers for heat maintenance (decades).

I best grab my Zimmer frame and leave ....... :(

DSC_2034_zpsxye8tdbo.jpg

Genius :D

Great solution, absolutely perfect!

Advertisement