Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company in Gaeltacht - Use Of Language

Options
  • 06-12-2018 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm not sure where I should post this thread, so I'll try here.

I work for a company within a Gaeltacht area.

The headquarters for the company is outside the Republic Of Ireland, but our office is located within the Gaeltacht, of which we receive funding from Udaras Na Gaeltachta for being there.

However this week we received a memo from our HR department stating that only English should be used for communication within the company, globally and locally including speaking, e-mails etc. Basically, we should not use Irish as a form of communication.

I'm just wondering what your opinions are of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is the funding dependent on speaking Irish, or just on providing employment?

You can see why on a practical level a company might want communications understood by those outside your office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TedFan91

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is the funding dependent on speaking Irish, or just on providing employment?

You can see why on a practical level a company might want communications understood by those outside your office.

Just on providing employment AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

How do you know it's in relation to speaking Irish? I've worked with several international companies that span south America, Asia and Russia and I have seen similar notes to say English is the company's language. It's just for practical reasons. And saying as nobody speaks Irish outside that area, if it is in relation to Irish, it's definitely for practical reasons.

Edit: Socially however, I would disagree with a company forcing employees to talk about life etc in a specific language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TedFan91

The use of English is definitely for practical reasons and I can certainly agree why they would do that for global communication. It makes things simpler.

But personally, I don't like seeing people from an area forced to talk to another local colleague in English when they just want to keep-up speaking Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

They can change jobs.

No one is forcing them to speak English outside of this job.

It's legal to speak English in the Gaeltacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

TedFan91 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm not sure where I should post this thread, so I'll try here.

I work for a company within a Gaeltacht area.

The headquarters for the company is outside the Republic Of Ireland, but our office is located within the Gaeltacht, of which we receive funding from Udaras Na Gaeltachta for being there.

However this week we received a memo from our HR department stating that only English should be used for communication within the company, globally and locally including speaking, e-mails etc. Basically, we should not use Irish as a form of communication.

I'm just wondering what your opinions are of this?

..... we receive funding from Udaras Na Gaeltachta

Ah Udaras :

McGuinley confirmed that from a current budget of €9.8 million in 2012, some €4.3 million was spent on pension payments to former employees of the agency which is responsible for the economic, social and cultural development of the Gaeltacht.

https://www.thejournal.ie/udaras-na-gaeltachta-pensions-673685-Nov2012/

They want you to stick to one language in case something gets lost in translation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

That company that I work for is based in 100 country's or so.

English is the company language and works.

While in the office we have people from all over the world and they speak to each other in there own language but if its business it has to be in English.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So your interpretation.... It is normally in most multinationals to have a single common language for official communications, documentation etc... so unless your memo states you can't you Irish at the water cooler, then you are out of whack.

Advertisement