Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career advise - Forestry / Arborist

Options
  • 06-12-2018 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Recently did some career advise tests out of curiosity and a lot recommended forestry or something similar. I remember the guidance councellor test in secondary school years ago also said forestry as number one. Of course I dismissed this as horse**** and went on to study something completely different that I never use but this co-incidence has got me curious enough to hash out the notion. Is something like forestry or arborist work worth considering as a career change for someone in their mid 30's? Would I be right in thinking forestry requires proper back to college education (Ballyhaise etc) whereas the arborist route is a bit more small course / cert orientated combined with getting an in with a tree care company? Any advise or experience welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mttdhg

Im studying Botany in college, and only during the summer I remember talking to a man from the Irish Tree Company who said they are absolutely crying out for people. I presume you would have to get some form of cert, but there would definitely be jobs there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

mttdhg wrote: »
    Im studying Botany in college, and only during the summer I remember talking to a man from the Irish Tree Company who said they are absolutely crying out for people. I presume you would have to get some form of cert, but there would definitely be jobs there for you.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if they are actually called the Irish Tree Company or something else as a quick google doesn't show up much for this name?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mttdhg

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if they are actually called the Irish Tree Company or something else as a quick google doesn't show up much for this name?

Its The Irish Tree Centre, my apologies ☺ The work seemed quite interesting, they were transplanting 50 + foot trees at the time

Advertisement