Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynamite Kid Dead at 60

Options
  • 05-12-2018 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

Probably deserves a thread of it's own.

Been in bad health for a number of years, and of course, confined to a wheelchair.

Been quoted as inspiration for many superstars down through the years. RIP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Won't claim to be an expert on Dynamite. His legacy seemed torn between the wrestler and the man. RIP

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Agreed. As the man it's a very sad, bitter story. Hearing his name I instantly recall him putting a shotgun under his wife's chin, but explaining it 'wasn't loaded'. I can't even comprehend it.

But as a wrestler - the guy was instrumental in bringing the cruiserweight style to mainstream - highly influential to the biggest smaller stars of the 90s and beyond with his fast-paced athleticism, spanning multiple continents. When you leave shape wrestlers like Owen, Benoit, Pillman, Ron-Ron, Liger etc...you were something very special. So mixed emotions. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This match is from 1983. Wouldn't look out place today. Years ahead of its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I note that today was also his birthday - died on his 60th birthday. Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

great wrestler, horrible human being

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,349 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Bulldogs will probably go into the HoF next year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was blown away by his matches with Tiger Mask when I first discovered them. I believe Bret has described him as the best wrestler he's ever seen.

Some of the things that he did outside of the ring were very disturbing going by reports, and Bret's book describes some of the behaviour. He certainly went through a lot of suffering himself in the past two decades.

Very sad story.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Unfortunately, the dynamite kid is like a lot of his peers from his generation. Good to very good wrestlers in the ring but outside they were in a lot of cases less than perfect people. I mean wrestling was less than a perfect industry over the years and some utterly horrific people were involved in it. It's something that will hopefully be far less of a problem with this current generation due to the complete ending of kayfabe and the protection of the business.

I say that because it's easier and more exceptable for wrestlers today to be who they actually are outside the ring. The issue I think is that in the past wrestlers had to always be "on" and their characters and their real selfs over time became one and the same and when they retired they couldn't find themselves as it was meshed with their in ring personna. As Harley race said "there is no greater trill then under those bright lights." and when the lights turn off guys in the past couldn't deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I was blown away by his matches with Tiger Mask when I first discovered them. I believe Bret has described him as the best wrestler he's ever seen..

I got to meet Bret in Belfast years ago. My first words to him after the usual's was "I've just after finishing Tommy's book..." and he was ours for the next 2 hours. While he hasn't a lot of good to say about Mr. Billington he himself was in awe and revere of the Dynamite Kid and told us so.

When we bear in mind that Dynamite Kid made it big in the UK, US and Japanese wrestling markets, it's clear that he really was one of the very very best talents. Had he now blown himself out too soon he could have been better, a lot better, but for the want of being a prick to everybody, most of all his own self, we still think of him and wonder "what if"; a flawed genius if ever there was one.

Anyway, he has his release now after a painful lifetime. RIP Tommy, RIP Dynamite Kid"

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bob Gray

Phenomenal wrestler, especially for his time, his style would’ve fit in for most eras. But there was his antics which were a shame considering just how good he was in the ring.
    I read earlier that Harley Race regretted coming up with the diving headbutt because of Dynamite Kid, Benoit etc Proper career shortener.
    The Bulldogs will probably go into the HoF next year now.
    Yup, I’d say you’re right, now that there’s no chance of Dynamite getting a live microphone.

• Advertisement

I mean there is one bump that he took at wrestlemania II after the match was over when he was standing on the turnbuckles but outside the ring and he gets knocked off the turnbuckles and goes flying off and lands(the camera only kind of catches it) half on and off the mats at ringside.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but why he felt the need to take that bump I'll never know. The way his back went out in WWE was very strange as well. Him and Davey boy smith were wrestling in Canada(which there is hand held footage of, there are also WWF cameras there) and it's very strange how his back just seems to go on him.

Bob Gray wrote: »
    Phenomenal wrestler, especially for his time, his style would’ve fit in for most eras. But there was his antics which were a shame considering just how good he was in the ring.
    I read earlier that Harley Race regretted coming up with the diving headbutt because of Dynamite Kid, Benoit etc Proper career shortener.

Yup, I’d say you’re right, now that there’s no chance of Dynamite getting a live microphone.

He did say he regretted coming up with it but did he actually come up with it
    ? Surely another wrestler did a falling head butt to a prone opponent. Harley mixed it up though I think. He'd do the one standing on the mat and just fall forward whereas dynamite and Benoit did it from the top rope mostly.

Funny enough Becky lynch has a superstar picks up on the network and one of the matches she picked was dynamite kid vs tiger mask from msg I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Race got a few injuries not related to the headbutt, he badly hurt himself doing this before its time spot, he suffered a rupture in his intestines and needed a colostomy bag and never really recovered from it.

tumblr_inline_pajw89FBuH1r5344l_400.gif

Hard to think about Dynamite Kid without the negatives despite his work ethic and influence on the business there is a lot to learn from his career than just his matches or style.

He was the only one I read about that mentioned it in those terms.
    Yeah it was different sort of move alright but I think he was just bringing it up since he did it often. Probably got a bump or two that he never forgot from it.

That table.
    Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The way his back went out in WWE was very strange as well. Him and Davey boy smith were wrestling in Canada(which there is hand held footage of, there are also WWF cameras there) and it's very strange how his back just seems to go on him.

It was years of prolonged steroidal abuse that caused it, in short. It could have happened at any time, but that was the day when it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Great wrestler, terrible person.

I imagine he will never be considered for induction to the HOF, which is sad in a way because his in ring work more than justifies it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Don't follow wrestling at all anymore so I only just read about this a few minutes ago and it feels like a punch in the stomach.

When WWF first started appearing on Irish screens the Bulldogs were at the absolute peak of their powers and easily the most entertaining duo on the roster. All my friends were watching for the likes of Hogan but the Bulldogs were my guys - I followed their matches with the same devotion you'd expect for a big Premiership side. When they dropped the belts to Bret and Jim (another one sadly gone) I went ballistic, obviously I was clueless as to the real reason.

Although I don't pay it much heed, modern wrestling doesn't seem to revolve around monster - sized guys like it did back then. I reckon he'd enjoy a good singles push if involved today.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Rest in peace Dynamite.

Advertisement