Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to licence a second calibre (or second barrel)

Options
  • 05-12-2018 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm hoping to obtain a licence for different calibre for a long firearm that's already licenced. I intend to maintain both calibres (both barrels) under licence of course. But at the time of the application I will not be in possession or ownership of the new calibre- I need the second licence to facilite an import of the new barrel.

Is there anything significant to note or include in the application form? Normally an applicant would have a receipt from a gun shop but in this case I have only a licence for the existing firearm so I expect I'd simply present a copy of this with the application?

I don't actually have the new calibre yet as I intend to import it once I have secured the licence etc etc.

I'm sure it's problem that will cause me to get a phone call.. but has anyone tried to obtain a licence for a second calibre during the life of an active 3 year licence? Any thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

Just put an application in last week for a second barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor on my switch barrel.

I emailed my FO about this very thing and here's what I got back:

“The applicant will have to fill out an FCA1. It’s an application for a new calibre. While the serial no. etc remains the same, the calibre will be different so therefore a new application is required. He will have two Certs for the firearm(s)”

I'm getting my barrel from Dom Byrne, so I got a note from him outlining what I'd put a deposit on.

I haven't heard back yet, so kinda like yourself, I'm expecting a phone call. To somewhat preempt it, I included an explanation of what I was intending to do (i.e. keep my .308 barrel and have a 6.5 that I can switch to at will) in the usual blurb I attach to my application.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

In my experience this is what I done.
    I got the details of the firearm, (make, calibre etc and the information of the current owner- this was a private overseas sale).
    I applied for a licence for the firearm, explaining that the firearm and owner was over seas and that there obviously is no PULSE records etc. I explained the import procedure to the FO dealing with the application, backed up with relevent paper work on the subject.
    The FO processed it as a new application and once I got the licence I started the import procedure.

Advertisement