Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watership Down (2018) [BBC1]

Options
  • 04-12-2018 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭

Out this Christmas - the trailer just came out.

Nice cast, but people seem to be taking issue with the animation...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yikes, not really a Watership Down fan but had a passing interest in this cause of the cast but..

That animation looks unfinished, like a PS2 game, that's crazy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A jolly tale for Christmas then :D

The animation is a bit cheap looking; seems to be a BBC / Netflix joint production (it's appearing on the service as well), you'd think they'd spring out for better CGI than the kind you saw fadó fadó in the early 2000s.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yeah, that animation looks not great.

Is hand drawn animation more expensive to produce, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭ThePott

When this was announced they it was touted as one of the most expensive mini-series ever for the small-screen.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/27/bbc-remake-watership-down-with-less-violence-to-avoid-scarring-c/
    I guess most of that money went at the cast.

Less violence too so I guess it will only be dodgy CGI that gives kid's nightmares for this version.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

ThePott wrote: »
    When this was announced they it was touted as one of the most expensive mini-series ever for the small-screen.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/27/bbc-remake-watership-down-with-less-violence-to-avoid-scarring-c/
    I guess most of that money went at the cast.
    i

Bit like the John Lewis advert apparently being the most expensive one they've made at about 7 million, but about 5 of that went in Elton John's back pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,764 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bit like the John Lewis advert apparently being the most expensive one they've made at about 7 million, but about 5 of that went in Elton John's back pocket.

He's a pocket man :D

It airs as two feature length episodes on BBC 1 on Saturday 22 December and Sunday 23 December

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I read the book a couple of years back not knowing what the story was about. I'd seen it listed in one of those '100 books you must read' lists. I thought it was brilliant. Wish I'd read it when I was younger. I'll give this a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

I have been waiting for this. I tried watching the cartoon movie, but I did not like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I read the book a couple of years back not knowing what the story was about. I'd seen it listed in one of those '100 books you must read' lists. I thought it was brilliant. Wish I'd read it when I was younger. I'll give this a look.

when I was a kid I always put it as the 2nd best book I ever read after LOTR, now I'm an adult I can admit it was the best
    Read it again recently for the first time in years

Advertisement