Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat and the cold

Options
  • 04-12-2018 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Hello

Probably a silly question, but here goes.

I have 2 indoor cats, they are normally left out on my days off(and after work when its bright). Normally they would be out out between 3-6 hours depending on their mood really(and daylight).

But since the temperature's are dropping i'm worried that it maybe too cold for them, as they are most used to the warmth of the inside.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Do they have somewhere warm to sleep outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

boomerang wrote: »
    Do they have somewhere warm to sleep outside?

Not that think. I only ever leave them out during the day, and leave a window open for them to come and go as they please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Do they actually want to go outside? If they do, I wouldn't really worry about it, but give them an option to come in sooner maybe. Some people in my estate put their cats outside when they leave for work and they can only go back in when they come home in the evenings. Some of those cats just spend most of the day sitting on the doormat waiting for their owners to come back, they would clearly prefer to be inside, especially on a cold day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

miezekatze wrote: »
    Do they actually want to go outside? If they do, I wouldn't really worry about it, but give them an option to come in sooner maybe. Some people in my estate put their cats outside when they leave for work and they can only go back in when they come home in the evenings. Some of those cats just spend most of the day sitting on the doormat waiting for their owners to come back, they would clearly prefer to be inside, especially on a cold day.

We only leave the guys out when home. Always a door or window open for them to come back in. And they are mad to get out and chase the falling leaf's and birds.

Was just worried that they'd not be used to the cold and stay out too long... Maybe I should just trust them to look after themselves in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    We only leave the guys out when home. Always a door or window open for them to come back in. And they are mad to get out and chase the falling leaf's and birds.

Was just worried that they'd not be used to the cold and stay out too long... Maybe I should just trust them to look after themselves in that regard.

If you have a window open that they can get back in, I would have no worries whatsoever. Cats are so smart - why would they stay outside if they were cold, when they could come back in to their warm home anytime they want.

Of course this is a good reason for a photo of Moose in his outdoor coat please Sillymangox :D Just to show how a cat could have an outdoor coat, not because I want to see a photo of the cuteness!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

aonb wrote: »
    If you have a window open that they can get back in, I would have no worries whatsoever. Cats are so smart - why would they stay outside if they were cold, when they could come back in to their warm home anytime they want.

Of course this is a good reason for a photo of Moose in his outdoor coat please Sillymangox :D Just to show how a cat could have an outdoor coat, not because I want to see a photo of the cuteness!!

I don’t have any updated picture of him in his coat but here he is warming his butt by the fire :D

Hes fabulous, but really we need a picture of him in his coat too - just for clarification and research purposes you understand!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

What a lovely cat!

Do they have easy access through a window into warm environment? Do they use this regularly and know how to get in ?

If so they will be perfect and will come in when they are cold, I would imagine most cats when they get cold they would come straight in as opposed to being uncomfortable unless they are old and not able to jump through window for example.

If you have neighbors be conscious that cats can be easily poisened from antifreeze as it tastes nice to cats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

aonb wrote: »
    Hes fabulous, but really we need a picture of him in his coat too - just for clarification and research purposes you understand!!!

I’ll see what I can do tomorrow when he’s all wrapped up again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

We have a stray cat in work. Who greets me every morning at the door to get in, I feed her breakfast and then she sleeps till lunch time waking for her slice of ham. Then she goes out for an hour or two and comes back. I feel bad when I have to close up and shoo her out with the cold weather but would also feel bad locking the door knowing she has no way out all night.

What to do?

• Advertisement

We have a stray cat in work. Who greets me every morning at the door to get in, I feed her breakfast and then she sleeps till lunch time waking for her slice of ham. Then she goes out for an hour or two and comes back. I feel bad when I have to close up and shoo her out with the cold weather but would also feel bad locking the door knowing she has no way out all night.

What to do?

Lucky cat, that shes in all day and you FEED her. As long as shes fed, she has the physicial resiliance to cope with cold so much easier. Im sure she would be very happy to be "locked in" overnight if it was very cold outside - then be let out in the morning... Major kudos to you for taking care and caring for this little animal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My newbies love staying outside. They nest in an old bale of hay in the shed and treat the place like a hotel some days... They were street cats and it is taking time for them to adjust. They are characters.. early today the tiniest kitten stole a whole raw chicken leg off one of the big cats! No contest!

I am home all day almost every day so letting them in and out is good exercise..

I installed a cat flap for our two and its been an absolute game changer.
    They are much happier when then can come and go as they please.
    one of ours used to cry to get out at 3/4/5am.

Got this flap that tracks them via an app.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8364384/Trail/searchtext%3ECAT+FLAP.htm

It was a lot to spend and I dont think I would again but I would buy the flap without the HUB its much better value.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4613345/Trail/searchtext%3ECAT+FLAP.htm

Its linked to their chip so only opens for our guys.

I installed a cat flap for our two and its been an absolute game changer.
    They are much happier when then can come and go as they please.
    one of ours used to cry to get out at 3/4/5am.

Got this flap that tracks them via an app.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8364384/Trail/searchtext%3ECAT+FLAP.htm

It was a lot to spend and I dont think I would again but I would buy the flap without the HUB its much better value.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4613345/Trail/searchtext%3ECAT+FLAP.htm

Its linked to their chip so only opens for our guys.

Alas the door here is glass... I had a cat flap once, but the collie learned to stick her head through it and destroyed it... :eek:

My lot are clever at making their needs known. .... one bangs on the door until I go....

Graces7 wrote: »
    Alas the door here is glass... I had a cat flap once, but the collie learned to stick her head through it and destroyed it... :eek:

My lot are clever at making their needs known. .... one bangs on the door until I go....

You can install them in glass or straight through a block wall.
    The siter in law got one in her door.
    Dont know if it was these lads

https://www.cornelscourtglass.ie/pet-door-flaps.php

You can install them in glass or straight through a block wall.
    The siter in law got one in her door.
    Dont know if it was these lads

https://www.cornelscourtglass.ie/pet-door-flaps.php

For the kindness thank you, but way beyond my means even if they would venture on the ferry to come here. Still washing by hand as the same applies to getting the washing machine installed,...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Dear OP, bear in mind that cats are naturally nocturnal.

It is in their nature to be active particularly around dusk and dawn, and during the night too: whereas most cats will (if they can) sleep the day away with just occasional breaks to pee and stretch their paws etc.

So your cats will probably cope just fine with the cold if their coats are furry and their bellies full, but outdoors in winter daytime is a hard station for them.
    They should have a warm place to retire to, either a bolt-hole outdoors, (like a shed etc) or get a cat-flap in one of your doors so they can come and go as they need to.

One of my new small threesome has found her own way of alerting me to her desire to come in from the cold.. she literally leaps up to the top glass half of the door and bangs on it. ,,....

Advertisement