Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Edge to be killed off, in favour of a version of Chromium

Options
  • 04-12-2018 10:56am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Microsoft plans to kill off it's new browser, Microsoft Edge, and move over to a version of Chromium as the new default browser. I actually never had a problem with Edge, thought that it was pretty good, but it never had enough to make me want to swap over from Chrome.

This will be interesting for Windows 10 Arm devices, and for the future Windows 10 Lite devices as well.

See The Verge here.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thankfully Embrace, extend, and extinguish is not the rule these days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I should have clarified on this, there's still going to be a Microsoft Edge, it's just going to run on Chromium now. It'll also be coming to Windows 7 and 8, as well as Mac. The best news of all of this is that Chromium (and by extension, Chrome) will get better, as Microsoft will be contributing to the source now as well. Presumably they've got some tricks up their sleeve, seeing as they'll know the Windows code back to front.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's about time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Not a great idea if you ask me - there is nothing technically wrong with Edge, at least notable on the user side except maybe for the lack of plug ins. I tend to have a bazillion of browser windows and tabs open at work, side-by-side comparisons et all, and many times I end up having instances of Edge, Firefox and Chrome open at the same time - unless you go checking on purpose, you can easily forget/ignore which browser you're currently using.

What killed Edge and will likely kill any new versions of it is the branding - people still think it's Internet Explorer and aren't even willing to give it a chance. If they really wanted, for some reason, have a widespread browser MS would need to run a bit of a covert operation - get rid of the darn "e" branding and promote the new browser without any association to Microsoft, just as if it was the "new cool thing everyone should use".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

CatInABox wrote: »
    I should have clarified on this, there's still going to be a Microsoft Edge, it's just going to run on Chromium now. It'll also be coming to Windows 7 and 8, as well as Mac. The best news of all of this is that Chromium (and by extension, Chrome) will get better, as Microsoft will be contributing to the source now as well. Presumably they've got some tricks up their sleeve, seeing as they'll know the Windows code back to front.
    There were real life samples where, after "MS touch", good products get rotten.
    Will see....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There were real life samples where, after "MS touch", good products get rotten.
    Will see....

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish has been gone a long time at this stage....

Advertisement