Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are "new" Galaxy S5's on Ebay actually new?

Options
  • 04-12-2018 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

I have an S5 and love it but it's battle scarred and has has the screen replaced.

There are a few brand new boxed unlocked S5s advrertised on ebay but are the really last of what was made or just refurbs?

There are ones that are clearly marked as refurbs too, for not much less.
    I like the camera on the S5 etc and don't want to spend a wedge or downgrade in that department.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

dense wrote: »
    I have an S5 and love it but it's battle scarred and has has the screen replaced.

There are a few brand new boxed unlocked S5s advrertised on ebay but are the really last of what was made or just refurbs?

There are ones that are clearly marked as refurbs too, for not much less.
    I like the camera on the S5 etc and don't want to spend a wedge or downgrade in that department.
    What price are they. I'd imagine things have moved on significantly from the S5 in terms of camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

seannash wrote: »
    What price are they. I'd imagine things have moved on significantly from the S5 in terms of camera

About €160 delivered.

I think the camera is still well regarded, HDR, uhd, 60ffps etc. Slow motion is crap alright

cameras would have moved on a lot since then.

the dxomark score for the s5 is 70. this is a phone camera testing body. the current high score is 109 (unofficially it's 116 for an unreleased score for the Huawei mate 20 pro)

even budget phones would have surpassed the s5 at this stage.

not sure how new those phones could be.

also there could be issues with the batteries holding charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

The S5 is an absolute pocket rocket! Have on old one running Android Pie (Lineage OS 16) and it's still going great. Why would you need anything else?

Ardent wrote: »
    The S5 is an absolute pocket rocket! Have on old one running Android Pie (Lineage OS 16) and it's still going great. Why would you need anything else?

This. They are great!!

But does anyone know if there is new ones still available?

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    cameras would have moved on a lot since then.

the dxomark score for the s5 is 70. this is a phone camera testing body. the current high score is 109 (unofficially it's 116 for an unreleased score for the Huawei mate 20 pro)

even budget phones would have surpassed the s5 at this stage.

not sure how new those phones could be.

also there could be issues with the batteries holding charge.

Mmmm.
    Recommended anything sub €200 with 60fps?

dense wrote: »
    Mmmm.
    Recommended anything sub €200 with 60fps?

mi a2

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-a2-dual-sim-4gb-64gb-with-3d-curved-premium-tempered-glass-screen-protector-black-edge-black.html

as a matter of interest why the big focus on 60fps?

glasso wrote: »

Thanks.
    I just prefer the option of the smoother effect of 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Ardent wrote: »

Not arguing that its a good phone if you have it already but I dont think its better than other phones out there for the same money right now. I just wouldn't pay money for it now as there are better options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

OP I've had an S4, S5, S6, S7 and now the S8.... hoping for an S9 later in the year. I absolutely loved the S5, found it to be a terrific phone, a great all rounder and like you I really liked the camera on it. As has been pointed out though, technology has moved on and one of the best cameras for me was that on the S7, it really was a whole lot better than the S5. If you can I'd suggest have a look for a very good quality refurb or even trawling Adverts and look for one which appears to have been well cared for. They can be found for very close to your budget and will be a significant upgrade from your S5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement