Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mince pies rating and review thread

Options
  • 03-12-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭

Last year Dunnes Stores did the best mince pies imho. Simply Better frangipane mince pies were the best ones I've ever had. They were expensive, you only got 4 in a pack, but they were unreal, didn't think mince pies could be so good. But apparently they're not doing them this year :(

I've had a lot of mince pies down the years that promise a lot on the packet. "Specially selected" this, "luxury" that, and "all butter" the other. Usually a black box with photos printed means they're "fancy". But 95% of them are shíte, small step up from Mr. Kipling who are the benchmark for shíte.
    Lidl usually do good loose ones in the bakery. I've had their fancy branded frangipane ones this year, they're ok, but no where near the dunnes ones from previous years. M&S always are the most disappointing. Going all out on packaging, but usually they're fairly shíte. But I'll stand to be corrected as I haven't had them this year.

There's lots available, each shops usually has about 3 or 4 types, so it's a minefield out there. Maybe a mince pie rating thread is in order. If you buy some, rate and review them here so other boards users don't get caught out with a box of mince pies that could ruin their Christmas.
    2 thread rules: I don't want to hear "mince pies are gross", no one cares if you don't like them and I know, lots of people hate them, you're probably not in the minority. We're here to celebrate mince pies. And I don't want to make them myself because I couldn't be arsed. Anyway, I'll start:

Lidl Delux All Butter Frangipan mince pies. 7/10
    Not a bad effort from Lidl, frangipan was a little dry and the mincemeat was a bit like paste rather than having pieces of fruit. I thought they'd be a match for last years Dunnes ones, so I was disappointed straight away because they were nowhere near as good. But had a second one later and it was actually not bad. Slightly above average, but shouldn't be in anyones "Delux" range.

BTW, if you want a rating guide, Mr. Kipling are about 3/10. We all know what they're like

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Class thread! I will be taking notes for sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,313 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've had the
    Mini Lidl Dulux mince pies: Very disappointing. The mince meat felt like more of a paste than mince meat and the pastry was underdone.
    I haven't eaten them but I know a few who were happy with Tesco standard mince pies especially for the price.
    Iceland Deluxe Mini range smelt moldy so the taste wasn't great either.
    Aldi standard pies were okay but a little to appley.
    Supervalu standard mini mice pies were nice and the were well baked.
    Dunnes Puff pastry mince pies were my favorite from what I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My home-made ones have crisp flaky brown pastry, not that mushy crumbly stuff found in shop pies. *preen*

On the other hand, shop-bought mincemeat to put in them...which brand is best?
    I'm fussy - it mustn't be merely sweet like minced raisins. Needs to have a little character. Recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've had the
    Mini Lidl Dulux mince pies: Very disappointing. The mince meat felt like more of a paste than mince meat and the pastry was underdone.
    I haven't eaten them but I know a few who were happy with Tesco standard mince pies especially for the price.
    Iceland Deluxe Mini range smelt moldy so the taste wasn't great either.
    Aldi standard pies were okay but a little to appley.
    Supervalu standard mini mice pies were nice and the were well baked.
    Dunnes Puff pastry mince pies were my favorite from what I tried.

First rule of mince pies: mini ones will be shíte. I've never had a decent mini one

Cienciano wrote: »
    First rule of mince pies: mini ones will be shíte. I've never had a decent mini one

I was actually happy enough with the Super-Valu ones and have had nice mini ones in the past before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

BTW, if you want a rating guide, Mr. Kipling are about 3/10. We all know what they're like

I don't think I've ever came across someone who knew so much about mince pies!

Cracking thread!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I don’t even like mince pies but I am loving this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Tesco finest: decent pastry but the filling is a little too 'fancy', alcohol taste a bit off 7/10

limnam wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever came across someone who knew so much about mince pies!

Cracking thread!

Mince pies are one of the 4 cornerstones of Christmas.
    1. Santa and giving gifts
    2. Decorations and celebrations
    3. Turkey and ham, drinking and overindulgence
    4. Jesus's birthday Mince pies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This thread has reminded me to make my own mince pies again this year - havent in a few years.

So far Ive only tasted a LIDL bakery mince pie and I give it a 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Lidl and M&S are having their own mince pies war. There a thread of back and forth between them.

https://twitter.com/LidlUK/status/1069912900771479553

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I had a Costa mince pie the other day - it was a decent effort. 7/10 imo

We haven't had mince pies at home yet, except homemade ones. We need to up our game it would appear :P

So 7 out of 10 seems to be standard fair about the place..

looking forward to a 8/9/10 out of 10 if anyone manages it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you toss glutenfree mince pies into the mix I had a Supervalu one from a box of 4, I think they were own brand but I will have to check the boxes when I am in the store next - excellent with a lovely tasty mincemeat.

How do people feel about adding to the pie?

Cream/custard etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Mmmm, mince pies & custard :D

But I'd only do that if I was going into full on dessert mode! :pac::pac:

I am open to adding to the pie.

Although I dont often.

I do enjoy a Baileys coffee with a mince pie. This year I hope to try the dairy free baileys - I believe Dunnes are stocking it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

limnam wrote: »
    How do people feel about adding to the pie?

Cream/custard etc?

Baileys cream! :P

https://www.avonmore.ie/products/baileys-whipped-cream

....... wrote: »
    I am open to adding to the pie.

Although I dont often.

I do enjoy a Baileys coffee with a mince pie. This year I hope to try the dairy free baileys - I believe Dunnes are stocking it now.

There's also Strawberries and Cream Bailey's out there.

I’ve never had a mince pie I don’t drink but I’d love to have one which should I try. What do they taste like I heard they are spicy

• Advertisement

There's also Strawberries and Cream Bailey's out there.

Yes - I saw that one of my local pubs was selling it as a limited edition for one day only recently.

Not to be curmudgeonly, but I hate special edition booze - if youre gonna make it and people like it, just sell it all the time eh??

That Strawberry and Cream Baileys might be nice chilled with a warm mince pie alright!

Tried 2 types today. Both lidl.

FAVORINA 6 Iced Top Mince Pies 5/10
    Sort of soft icing topping, like the icing on a cherry bakewell. Unsurprisingly, too sweet. Mincemeat is too dry. Don't bother with these.

Lidl bakery loose mince pies 8.2/10
    My go to mince pie. Great tasting moist filling. Never disappoint year after year. Bonus is if you have visitors they'll think you made them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I’ve never had a mince pie I don’t drink but I’d love to have one which should I try. What do they taste like I heard they are spicy

If only someone started a thread rating mince pies. That would help you a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

looksee wrote: »
    If you toss glutenfree mince pies into the mix I had a Supervalu one from a box of 4, I think they were own brand but I will have to check the boxes when I am in the store next - excellent with a lovely tasty mincemeat.

I have a box of 6 Fortnum & Mason Gluten Free Mince pies which are waiting to be eaten. This will put me on the naughty list but I am waiting till my in laws leave so I don't have to share....bad I know but they can eat the normal ones!

Lidl bakery loose mince pies 8.2/10
    My go to mince pie. Great tasting moist filling. Never disappoint year after year. Bonus is if you have visitors they'll think you made them yourself.

Yeah, had another one myself this morning, started off a bit disappointing but it turned out the filling was a bit sideways in it so the end of it was heaven.

The trick to pretend you made them yourself is to choose the most lobsided ones ;)

Advertisement