Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL - Select only the row with the oldest age.

Options
  • 03-12-2018 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I'm doing a SQL query to pick the person who is the oldest. I can get it that it shows only the oldest age but not the rest of the record or I can get all the records ordered oldest to youngest but I can't seem to just get the record with the oldest person.
    SELECT MAX(age(spdob))
    FROM public."salespeople";

This gets me simply the oldest age but no other details like the person's name.
    If I do;
    SELECT *, MAX(age(spdob))
    FROM public."salespeople";

I get ERROR: column "salespeople.spid" must appear in the GROUP BY clause or be used in an aggregate function LINE 1: SELECT *, MAX(age(spdob))

If I do
    SELECT *, MAX(age(spdob)) AS "Age" 
    FROM public."salespeople"
    ORDER BY "Age" ASC ;

I get all the records ranked by age. I'm using pgAdmin 4. I Googled and checked Stack Overflow but can't get this working. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,565 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

SELECT top 1 *, MAX(age(spdob)) AS "Age"
    ORDER BY "Age" ASC ;

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

ELM327 wrote: »
    SELECT top 1 *, MAX(age(spdob)) AS "Age"
    ORDER BY "Age" ASC ;

DESC?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,565 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    DESC?
    Yes of course, didnt notice that , haha, would give the youngest and not the oldest :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dakan

Thanks ELM327 and igCorcaigh,

It looks like postgreSQL doesn't do TOP but that pointed me in the right direction. I got it working by doing;
    SELECT MAX(age(spdob)) AS "Age", * 
    GROUP BY spid 
    ORDER BY "Age" DESC 
    LIMIT 1
    ;

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SilverSideUp

Select * from public."salespeople" order by age desc limit 1;

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

dakan wrote: »
    Thanks ELM327 and igCorcaigh,

It looks like postgreSQL doesn't do TOP but that pointed me in the right direction. I got it working by doing;
    SELECT MAX(age(spdob)) AS "Age", * 
    GROUP BY spid 
    ORDER BY "Age" DESC 
    LIMIT 1
    ;

Thanks for the help.

Don't think you need the GROUP BY

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Don't think you need the GROUP BY

You might as long as you use the MAX() function, but equally you don't need to use MAX() here either, as others have said.

Advertisement